Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need more home cooked meals!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:35 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Like many of you, I prefer to cook meals for my family. I generally find home cooked meals to be healthier and more wholesome. On too many nights I find myself crunched for time and end up having to pick up fast food, which I know is not the best for me or my kids. 

Do any of you have this problem as well? Any solutions or recommendations?

Thanks!

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I never know what to make for dinner... DS is super picky and I feel like we eat the same few things over and over.
Noneya73
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Crockpots are awsome. There's some really good websites for crockpot recipes. Have you considered trying things like Blue Apron? They deliver the ingredients and recipe for a meal. I've never used them ,but I've heard good things about them. You can also make meals and freeze them on the weekends and then all you have to do is heat them up.
SissyAnn141
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Prep ahead when you have days off. It takes a long time to do and is tedious, but it saves you so much time when it's time to cook. I buy bulk meat and split it up into 1lb or 2lb freezer bags, or just eyeball how much goes in each. That way I don't have any wasted meat. I will also prep a BIG bowl of different types of lettuce, matchstick carrots, sliced or shredded radishes, and broccoli florets for a weeks worth of salad. I dice up cucumber, onion and tomatoes and stick that in a large ziploc bowl with vinaigrette type dressing(usually I mix ACV and Italian) for salad too. You can also buy bulk frozen veggies and put servings into ziploc bags so you can just dump it into the dish without measuring. And of course with the meat and veggies, you can put other ingredients in with them(seasonings etc.) so you don't even have to deal with that when you take it out the freezer. I make my own spice and seasoning mixtures too. Crock pots and mixing your cooking between an oven and stovetop or rice cooker is where it's at for actually cooking.
balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a friend who meal plans on Sunday for the following Sunday. Sundays are their cooking days. They prep and cook as much for the following week as possible.

I love Epicurious.com and I'm addicted to cookbooks. I'll go through things and find what sounds interesting that my family might actually eat.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Crock pot is great, so is having stuff prepped in the fridge so getting food on the table takes less time.  Also re-purposing leftovers can make dinner faster.  I take leftover spaghetti sauce and make a baked pasta dish with lots of mozzarella on top.   I take leftover pot roast and cut everything up and serve it over egg noodles. 

cookmom69
by Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 1:02 AM

On Sunday's I pull 3 kinds of meat out of the freezer. I chop up things like onions, carrots, celery etc., so they are ready to be prepared with meals, like meat loaf and pasta dishes. So with 3 full days of meals I make enough to have leftovers for 2 to 3 of the following days. I hate cooking so I try to think of ways to make it easy. Also on pinterest they have crock pot dump meals - just fill a bag with a meal, freeze and dump it in the crock when ready. One more thing I like to do and that is make "recipe ready" burger. I will fry up 5 lbs. of ground beef with chopped onions/celery and fill 5 - 1 quart freezer ziplocks bags. Toss in freezer and when ready for something fast I pull it out of the freezer and make a meal out of it. I really like it for hamburger/vegetable soup, my son is super picky but loves this soup!

goddess99
by on Feb. 16, 2017 at 6:06 AM
You may want to start meal planning if you got already. Pinterest has tons of great easy meal ideas. Start a list of meals/recipes your family loves so it's easier to plan meals. I always have pastas, sauces,and garlic bread on hand for those busy days.
TylersMom999
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 6:53 AM

The Crockpot is your friend.  I will prep and put everything in the removable pot the night before and stick it in the refrigerator.  Then all I have to do is take it out the next morning and turn it on.  I also meal plan for each day of the week and and shop for everything I need for the whole week that makes things alot easier and I dont have to figure out whats for dinner when meal time rolls around.

CP2017
by Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 6:54 AM
Crock pot meals are great, you throw them in in the morning and then go about your day, and come home to a healthy meal. I also have pre-cooked (home cooked) meals that I've frozen, right now mostly for when the babies are born, but I always try to keep a few in. Sometimes you just want a home cooked meal, and don't have the time. I pull something out and toss it in the oven. Casseroles keep well in the freezer, and so do soups and stews. I have a deep freezer that I use for these things, not just a regular freezer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)