Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching good sportsmanship help?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

My ds is 7. He is very competitive. He loves to play board games, and games we create together. My issue I am having with him lately is if he starts to suspect he will not win, he either throws a fit(not crying, but gets mouthy), quits, or starts messing the game up by self sabotag. We hardly ever get to finish a game anymore. It is frustrating, and really not much fun to play games with him when you know it likely will not end well. How do I help him learn to be a better sport? I'm worried because this spring he wants to sign up for baseball, I plan to sign him up. But I'm worried how he will behave if the games don't go his way.

Any advice?

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 3:44 AM

Maybe it'll be good for him to be on a team . . . under the authority of a coach and not just mom. 

Though some kids just always hate to lose.  We gave up playing board games with our twins when they were young because it was so unpleasant!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Tell him that is unacceptable and discipline him.  Don't play games with him.  

Tell him IF he wants to play sports he has to be a good sport and cannot throw temper tantrums.  

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Sign him up for baseball and he will learn sportsmanship once he's on a team.
babyboxfish
by Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 11:13 PM

BUMP!

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Some role play may help. Tell him that his attitude and actions are disagreeable, unattractive, off- putting. Have him pretend play a game with you and tell him now you- the mom- are going to lose the game, and behave as he has been, unpleasantly. Tell him that you think he doesn't realize how he comes across when he behaves like this.

Next, pretend play another game, and tell him that you will behave as someone who loses a game should behave-  tell him that you feel disappointed that you didn't win, but smile and congratulate him anyway. Ask him which person would he prefer to be around, the one who cries and throws fits, or the one who smiles and congratulates.

conweis
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2017 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I stopped playing with my kids explained when they act like that, I didnt want to play with them. I also made the point to cheer my kids even when I loss, in spirit of the game
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)