Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Parent-Teacher Conferences necessary anymore?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM
  • 21 Replies

Do you think with email and texting available that an actual meet and greet for conferences is necessary anymore?

I can see meeting at the beginning of the school year, but with social media and smart phones and email, why should they waste money on conferences?

What do you think?

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM
I haven't been to one in 3 years. Almost all communication with the teachers is thru email and maybe a few phone calls.
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:28 AM
Nope
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes and no. I think it's easier these days to communicate with the teacher, however there's something to be said about face to face interactions and being able to hear the tone as things are brought up. There can be massive breakdowns in words on a screen.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM

My daughters school does not send emails or texts, its all face to face, we do not text at all, we have 1 cell phone, its a pay as you go and only has minutes on it when we travel.

I do not want to communicate with my dds school over electronics, and I am pretty anti-social person.

Mermaidana
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:52 AM

Not really............. but once I ended up going on a date with one of her teachers

zoo003
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:59 AM
Yes, I still think they are needed. While emails and texts are nice, I believe parent/teacher conferences allow for more communication and involvement.
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Heres my thought on this. Teachers have to do this after hours or on conference days.

This would eliminate the cost of paying teachers to have to be there after hours. I really think a case by case basis would be more cost effective!

Quoting beadingmom17: Yes and no. I think it's easier these days to communicate with the teacher, however there's something to be said about face to face interactions and being able to hear the tone as things are brought up. There can be massive breakdowns in words on a screen.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Oh how did that go? Did your daughter hate that? Or was she ok?

Quoting Mermaidana:

Not really............. but once I ended up going on a date with one of her teachers

vettechmom88
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:30 PM
No I don't think they're necessary any longer. If you have a particular issue that would be better dealt with in person, you can arrange a meeting as needed. As someone else said, it would be easier on the teachers as well, not having to spend that time making small talk with parents who's children aren't having any problems. Here, they actually have no school for two days a year, because they schedule conferences during the day and evening over those two days. They HAVE to have a conference with each parent, the administration makes them, it's not optional. I think that's a ridiculous waste of everyone's time if your child is doing well.
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Teachers are salary. It's not like they're getting paid extra hours for it. There's no cost involved.

Quoting LancesMom:

Heres my thought on this. Teachers have to do this after hours or on conference days.

This would eliminate the cost of paying teachers to have to be there after hours. I really think a case by case basis would be more cost effective!

Quoting beadingmom17: Yes and no. I think it's easier these days to communicate with the teacher, however there's something to be said about face to face interactions and being able to hear the tone as things are brought up. There can be massive breakdowns in words on a screen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)