Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this ok//.????

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

my ds usually hates infant cereal, so i got one with apples and bannanas, he didnt like that either, so a few weeks went by, and i tried it again, but this time with just water.... he loved it... but he is 7 months old... is this ok just as long as its not straight water?

family car

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jbirdsladie15
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM
It's been a while since I had an infant but I think you're good
vettechmom88
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM
I think that's usually introduced around 6 months, if I remember correctly, so yes, you're fine.
ETA- what do you mean by as long as it isn't straight water? Do you mean when you mix it up? You can use straight water to mix it if he prefers it that way, you don't have to add formula to it if he doesn't like it, that's fine.
angie0616
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Quoting vettechmom88: I think that's usually introduced around 6 months, if I remember correctly, so yes, you're fine. ETA- what do you mean by as long as it isn't straight water? Do you mean when you mix it up? You can use straight water to mix it if he prefers it that way, you don't have to add formula to it if he doesn't like it, that's fine.

i meant as long as im not giving him just water by itself, because i heard that babies cant have straight water, so i was a ittle worriedd to mix the cereal with only water and no formula

family car

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Water isn't bad for him considering we are made up of 70% water. They just don't like for the water to be instead of breastmilk. Grains aren't necessary in an infant's diet.
vettechmom88
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM
Babies can have straight water at his age. I wouldn't give a newborn water, but at 7 months it's fine as long as he's still getting plenty of formula/ breast milk and cereal / solids. Maybe a bottle a day total as a rule of thumb. They don't need it as long as they're eating well, they'll get plenty of hydration from that, but it won't hurt him either, as long as he's getting plenty of other foods with nutrition. So it's really just up to you if you want to give him any or not.

Quoting angie0616:

Quoting vettechmom88: I think that's usually introduced around 6 months, if I remember correctly, so yes, you're fine.

ETA- what do you mean by as long as it isn't straight water? Do you mean when you mix it up? You can use straight water to mix it if he prefers it that way, you don't have to add formula to it if he doesn't like it, that's fine.

i meant as long as im not giving him just water by itself, because i heard that babies cant have straight water, so i was a ittle worriedd to mix the cereal with only water and no formula

5nFighting
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't like it, don't give it to him. There is no need for infant cereal at all. 

Saphira1207
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

OR

you can skip the useless "infant cereal" and just give him mashed up whatever-you're-having.  It's generally healthier and easier on the parents anyway.

and kids his age can have straight water all day every day if they want.  It's better than tons of juice or milk after all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)