Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD acting out at school

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
It's very unusual...my 7 year old is my "golden child" lol she has ALWAYS been exceptionally well behaved (I gave her maybe 2 time outs her whole life. I rarely have to tell her "no/stop").
So I find it really strange that her behavior changed in class. Her teacher said she keeps distracting her table mates (talking) , doodling, not paying attention, and doing things like kicking classmates chairs.
Lately the teacher has been disciplining her for the chatter by "benching" her for 2 mins during recess. Lately it's been everyday!
I talked to DD. I tried explaining why she needs to be quiet, reminded her to raise her hand...

Idk what to do. My SIL thinks she might be boarding class. Because everytime she asks my DD what she learned or if she had fun, my DD usually says something like "I already know everything. It's so boring ), (and she does get outstanding marks in all subjects..except behavior). Her teacher already gives her slightly different work (like more challenging list of spelling words or more challenging piano sheet).

It's just so unlike her! This is something I would expect from my 6yo (who is our "firecracker" child lol.)

Any advice ?!?
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM
she needs to be in an advanced class so she be challenged more.
3Junebabies
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM
Sounds like she's bored
Ryder2420
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM
It sounds like she isn't being challenged enough. Maybe she needs advanced classes.
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Definitely sounds like she's bored. Maybe the teacher can try things like letting her be a helper and help other students who aren't "getting it" or give her some other things to do that will keep her occupied when her work is done.

Quoting Zaichik90: It's very unusual...my 7 year old is my "golden child" lol she has ALWAYS been exceptionally well behaved (I gave her maybe 2 time outs her whole life. I rarely have to tell her "no/stop"). So I find it really strange that her behavior changed in class. Her teacher said she keeps distracting her table mates (talking) , doodling, not paying attention, and doing things like kicking classmates chairs. Lately the teacher has been disciplining her for the chatter by "benching" her for 2 mins during recess. Lately it's been everyday! I talked to DD. I tried explaining why she needs to be quiet, reminded her to raise her hand... Idk what to do. My SIL thinks she might be boarding class. Because everytime she asks my DD what she learned or if she had fun, my DD usually says something like "I already know everything. It's so boring ), (and she does get outstanding marks in all subjects..except behavior). Her teacher already gives her slightly different work (like more challenging list of spelling words or more challenging piano sheet). It's just so unlike her! This is something I would expect from my 6yo (who is our "firecracker" child lol.) Any advice ?!?

5nFighting
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 6:08 PM

She needs to be evaluated and possibly moved to an advanced class, it sounds like she's just bored. My son started the same thing, great kid at home, great kid at school, until he started acting out. Turns out he was bored out of his mind because he wasn't really learning or being challenged. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Consequences at home.  

strangeyfine
by on Mar. 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM
If she is able to not pay attention in class and still get good marks she needs to be in a more challenging class. Nip it in the bud before this behavior develops into a pattern. I would schedule a meeting at the school and see what kinds of options they would have for her.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Talk with the teacher and have her tested to take advanced classes in 3rd grade.  Schools usually test kids before the end of 2nd grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)