Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EXTREMELY CONSTIPATED 2YO

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM
  • 20 Replies
I'm at my wits end! My two year old had such hard stools its making her scream and bleed. I have her on a probiotic, I was giving her pedialax stool softener, she drinks plenty of water....I dont know what else to do! Our pediatric doctor says to give her Miralax daily, but I REALLY dont want to do that.... Anyone have any natural solutions??
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:16 PM
Is there a nurse line to call?
mom18103
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Take her to the ER she needs a clean out.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

glycerin suppositories.  

How many days has it been?  If mine didn't for 3 days i used the supporitories.  

Sounds like you should have used miralax before now.  She could have an obstruction and it can cause death.  

WickedOpal
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Pear juice helps my DS. Prune juice is also an option. Smooth Move tea is natural.
MrsBieg
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

What I learned about my constipated 2yo one day when giving him a bath...all the screaming was not just because it hurt to poop.  Most of the screaming happened  before that, while he was trying not to poop.  I never imagined butt cheeks could clench together with such amazing strength!

So chances are that you aren't just fighting constipation.  You've probably got a kid who wouldn't poop if she could ...which causes stools to get hard and hurt more...which causes the child to continue to resist.

Yes, you have to give Mirilax every day.  And you add prune juice to whatever you can.  And if some time goes by without a poop, you do what you can to force it.  I was a fan of warm and sweet coffee.  But when that didn't work, I had to go to the laxative, Fletcher's Castoria for us.

Because the point is to get a resister to poop frequently enough that they learn that it's just not that bad so they quit resisting.  If they go a few days without a poop, it WILL be hard and it WILL hurt, thus perpetuating the behavior.

Good luck!

Don't text and drive.  

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM
What is he eating?
AbbyWalsh
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Why don't you want to give miralax?
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 1:42 AM

If the doctor recommends daily Miralax, I think that's what you should do.

Can you give her foods that help, like raisins?  Will she eat bran, like bran cereal?  (You could make high fiber muffins or something like that?)

Poor baby.  I hope she gets some relief.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Go the dried fruit route....dates, apricots, prunes, figs.  They're sweet so most kids gobble them down like gummy worms.   2-3 dates or figs will usually loosen up a grown adult....

calsmom62
by Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 9:41 AM
very dark chocolate works wonders too and so does walking
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)