Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adhd and meds

Posted by on May. 16, 2017 at 2:28 AM
  • 24 Replies
I have recently been told that my 7 and 10 year olds are both adhd and both have anxiety my 7 year old is also most likely bipolar. My 10 year olds therapist has suggested that we might have to consider meds for him soon to help him focus and help him think before he acts. We haven't gotten there with my 7 year old yet but I feel that we might get there sometime in the near future. They are both homeschooled which is probably why it hasn't come up sooner. Anyway have any of you needed to medicate your kids and what meds work for you?
by on May. 16, 2017 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't medicated any of my kids.  My youngest is 14 now.

Have you  had more than one medical opinion?  I would do so before starting medication. 

Good luck!

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

While I have not dealt with this with my own two, I have read some on it.  As the other member suggested, you might want to get a second medical opinion.

I can speak for the Canadian statistic, but it is probably the same in the U.S., but 16% of ADHD is misdiagnosed.

Cenedra64
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:05 AM

my oldest dd has been on ADHD meds for a long time. She went through several and she takes Vyvanse now.   It works pretty good.     

Cenedra64
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM

that is so true.    I had second thirds and fourth opinions on my dd.  She's definately adhd.  I know it is over diagnosed.   

Quoting Linda_Runs:

While I have not dealt with this with my own two, I have read some on it.  As the other member suggested, you might want to get a second medical opinion.

I can speak for the Canadian statistic, but it is probably the same in the U.S., but 16% of ADHD is misdiagnosed.

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM

I don't have much faith in child psychologists.

Quoting Cenedra64:

that is so true.    I had second thirds and fourth opinions on my dd.  She's definately adhd.  I know it is over diagnosed.   

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:10 AM

Were still testing out medication with dd. We thought we were good but they are not working anymore, the dosage has to go up she is on the smallest dose of a stimulant, biphentan. She is severe ADHD with SHHM

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 8 and she has been taking meds for her ADHD for over 4 years. She takes Clonidine to help her sleep at night and she takes a small dose every morning to help slow her down during the day. 2 years ago she started taking methylphenidate(rittilin) on school days only to help her focus. We have noticed that it helps. Alot of parents pretty much know when its time to try meds to help our kids function. We have to put our own wants and fears away and do whats best for our kids

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Why is that?

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting Cenedra64:

Quoting Linda_Runs:

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM
What is SHHM?

Quoting Sailor.Moon.Mom:

Were still testing out medication with dd. We thought we were good but they are not working anymore, the dosage has to go up she is on the smallest dose of a stimulant, biphentan. She is severe ADHD with SHHM

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM

They seldom agree, push too many medications and the so-called science they use is so open to interpretation.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Why is that?

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting Cenedra64:

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)