Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about a tubal ligation

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
I go see my gyn on the 14th where we will discuss some bc options. I have been on the patch almost a year and I'm constantly worried about them falling off and getting pregnant. We have 5 kids so we are d.o.n.e. done. I would like to know some experiences if women who've had this procedure done. How was the surgery? Recovery time? Pain? If I continue my plans I'll have it done within a few months. How are your periods now or weight gain? I also think I'm going through perimenopause as well. I'm so done with being a woman right now! Any advice?
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HaloSue
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Why doesn't your DH get done it's cheaper and easier by far!
HaloSue
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Why doesn't your DH get done it's cheaper and easier by far!
hurst0three
by Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Our insurance plan won't cover a vasectomy but will cover a tubal or any kind of bc for a woman. It would cost over 2000 for his vasectomy and only our 200 deductible for me, if any.

Quoting HaloSue: Why doesn't your DH get done it's cheaper and easier by far!
nanasue31204
by Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:55 PM
With my families history I won't get a tubal. My mom, grandma and great grandma all almost died several years after their tubals from bleeding problems. My husband will get a vasectomy after this baby or we will continue using condoms and natural family planning. Never knew there was such big risks for women until my mom started bleeding for months and it got so heavy she was having to wear a super tampon and two overnight pads all at the same time to keep from bleeding everywhere and changing them every half to one hour. She didn't have insurance at the time and doctors didn't want to help her without it so she almost died. When that happened we started looking into our family history and discovered it had happened with grandma and great grandma so it scares the crap out of me. After a miscarriage I bled for months so I already know I am prone to problems.
Marti123
by Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:00 PM
I had Essure implanted. I have not had any issues to my knowledge related to it. I have had some changes, heavy bleeding, cramps, but I am getting older, things change. I think far too many people blame a tubal, when in reality hormones and changes occur coincidentally. Good luck with you decision!
belle2780
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:04 PM
I had mine done during my second csection. We knew 2 kids was enough for us and I got pregnant on the patch. My periods can be messed up at times, I will randomly skip months but I recovered in a week. I have a friend who did it after her second kid in the doc office and she was down for about 4 days for soreness then moving around again. Her periods weren't affected and her weight gain is based on a poor diet.
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:57 AM
I had my tubes removed during my only c-sec, delivering my 4th baby. Baby is now almost 18 mos, so I can't speak to long term, yet. However, recovery for me was as easy as it could be, considering I was also recovering from the c-sec. My periods have always been very irregular- at one point, it was not unusual to go over 90 days between cycles, and was diagnosed with PCOS. My weight has stayed the same, though I haven't given a true effort to loose 4 pregnancies worth of baby weight.

Psychologically, I have to say it's been very... liberating. I would have preferred stopping at 2 kids, but DH wanted lots. Our compromise was 3, and I had expected him to get snipped, since most birth control options aren't a good fit for me health wise. I was to the point where I was so worried about getting pregnant again, that I could no longer enjoy being intimate with my DH. But now, knowing that another pregnancy is no longer a possibility, has allowed me to be completely in the moment, more spontaneous, and even more adventurous.
sinbad127
by Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 4:29 PM
I had this procedure done and had no physical problems. I regretted it later after my divorce even though I didn't plan on more children I felt that I took away my own options.
MamaRett
by Member on Jun. 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM

I got an ablation and tubal last December.

I needed about three days to really get out of bed and move around.  The first day I left the hospital in pain and still feeling over sedated...I couldn't wait for my first pain pill.  The second day I was in bed most of the day just wiped out.  The pain was mostly in my shoulder from the gas they fill you up with during the surgery...laying flat helped with that hence staying in bed.  The third day I was down to half the prescription pain meds and was up and down as needed still not doing much but resting.  By the fourth day I was only taking ibuprofen and was able to drive carpool.   I will say this it did take two full weeks before I stopped needing to lay down every so often because it wiped me out.  

It was a full six weeks of not carrying anything more than five pounds (which is my purse alone).  

I was shocked it really did take several weeks and it is actual major abdominal surgery.  I knew it in my head but was kinda in denial.  I had had several d&cs, so I thought the recovery would be like that....it wasn't...it was way more intense.  

The good is no more worries about getting pregnant.  Sex life has kicked up several notches.  With the ablation I no longer have periods at all!!!  In six months I haven't gained any weight...no periods a little cramping around that time but finally free from that.  

Would I do it again...yes, I would.  I like knowing that I did it.  My husband wouldn't do it, just plain wouldn't...he has medical phobias and I don't so I got it done.  

Triple the time you think it will take you to recover and be prepared for some post op pain.  You should be fine.  Message me if you want.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)