Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gifts for Your Friends

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm in a group of 7 women where we do a lot of fun things together, including going out for everyone's birthdays.  We usually spend about $15 for gifts.  I'm stumped right now - lunch for two of the women is later this week and I don't know what to get for them.  They're both "upscale" women, so it has to be something nice - and not a gag gift type of thing.  I'm thinking of some kind of fancy food or candy, maybe, but am open to all kinds of ideas.  

Have you gotten or given something really great, or do you have an idea of what I can get them.  Even specific brands of food/candy would be a help at this point.  I'm thinking of maybe local organic honey, or something like that.  HELP!

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greenbird15
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi! I got my cousin a basket from Target and put in 2 candles and 3 dif kind of choclates. I posted here looking for advice LOL she loved it.

AbbyWalsh
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, that's a nice idea!

Quoting Greenbird15:

Hi! I got my cousin a basket from Target and put in 2 candles and 3 dif kind of choclates. I posted here looking for advice LOL she loved it.

Greenbird15
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM

YW & I felt stressed like you do. Before kids, I would buy candles on clearance & keep them in my closet so when someone's bday popped up I already had a present for them. Twice I had a friend come over on their bday and I excused myself to the closet where I also kept wrapping supplies. I don't have my gift stockpile anymore so its easy to get stressed when you aren't prepared! The poster that gave me this idea also put a bottle of wine in her basket & the dollar store sells basket bags and baskets as well. I didn't get my basket from them since I wanted to include a gift receipt. It will get expensive IF you put in wine & a couple wine glasses. The gift basket and contents were $30-$40. 

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Thanks, that's a nice idea!

Quoting Greenbird15:

AbbyWalsh
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:33 PM
Bumping for more ideas, please
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I really like your idea of local honey - it's delicious, it's something that (usually) takes more effort to find than the "standard" candle or card (those are still nice gifts!), and you get to support a local business.
Pair it with some tea (Stash Tea has a really awesome selection, their Breakfast in Paris is like Earl Grey with a bit of vanilla and lavender) or just a sweet handwritten note.
AbbyWalsh
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM
Tea and Honey! Now why didn't I think of that combo!!! Thank you.

Quoting illogicalkat: I really like your idea of local honey - it's delicious, it's something that (usually) takes more effort to find than the "standard" candle or card (those are still nice gifts!), and you get to support a local business.
Pair it with some tea (Stash Tea has a really awesome selection, their Breakfast in Paris is like Earl Grey with a bit of vanilla and lavender) or just a sweet handwritten note.
louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Those are some really good ideas!  I used to have a gift box...a rubbermaid tote that I kept in my closet....and I would buy nice candles and keep them in there...battery operated and the kind you burn...also the yankee candle plug ins....pic frames, scarves, socks etc....I kept a lot of different kinds of things in there.  It really came in handy and I stopped it when I moved and had used up all the things I had.  I need to start another one.  Sometimes it's a good idea to buy a nice journal type book or even a book to read, if they are a Christian maybe a devitional type book with a nice book mark etc....One time I had to come up with something quick and couldn't decide so I went to Lowe's and bought a nice pot and 4 different kinds of flowers...I had potting soil at home and I fixed her a big pot with those flowers in it and she raved on and on about how much she loved that gift.  lol  She sat it on her porch and enjoyed it all summer she said.  Anyway...hope you can figure out what you'd like to do.  Let us know what you end up doing.  :)

louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Oh...maybe not for these particular ladies but for future gifts...my aunt will take a basket she has around the house and put a movie or sometimes 2 with popcorn and candy etc....that makes a cute gift too.   I've done that before with a small blanket / throw in it and it was a hit too!

Eholwager
by Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Really fancy noodles and sauce - if you have a cost plus world market you can get interesting and fancy food that's affordable there

louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM

LOL  Sorry!  I keep thinking of things I've either done or had given to me.  One year for my b day one of my friends went to this oil / spice shop and gave me some really nice olive oil.  I LOVED that!  Something unique and something you'll use.  I like gifts like that too! 

Ok last one....lol  I got a cute plate with a little serving knife / fork and some nice cheese to go with it.  I loved it and still use that plate when I have friends over. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)