Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so many questions

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hello im a single mother of one and one on the way both girls,

I'm concerned about when the new baby is born that my 13 month old daughter will feel left out and jelouse, I would like to know how to prevent this from happening, I know give them equal attention but what if thats not enough?? Please give me some advise moms =)

ash
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Atarismommy
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 2:30 PM
Personally I think no matter how much you say you will give them equal attention... it doesnt always happen that way.. during the day my daughter gets attention and once she goes to bed.. then my son gets the attention. The best thing to do (was for me anyways), was if you can get someone to watch the baby after its born, take your daughter out to eat or whatever.. and make little special times just for you and her so she doesnt feel left out. Some people find if they buy the older child a baby doll they will feel like they are helping with the baby and not get jealous. Just make sure you are always telling your daughter you love her too. I dont have any jealousy issues with my daughter over my son. Shes curious about him and likes to poke at him.. but when I hold him she goes about her own thing.. plays with toys and will bring me toys to play with too.

jenjen81605
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Of course your older one will feel left out- she's very young and used to being the one that gets the attention. lol.
The good thing is, though, she'll get over it. Soon, she'll get excited about the new baby (if she hasnt already) and once your new little girls born, your older one might want to help. Try to do things with both of them at the same time and don't worry about "who gets more this or that".
You'll love them both, and they'll both know it. With siblings, one's always jealous of the other. My brother's 4years older than me- he was jealous that I was getting attention, I was jealous that he got to do more stuff.. blah blah. It's just the way the world turns

Good luck! If you need to vent feel free to message me. :D
robinann5
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM
My best advice for bringing a "new" baby into the family is to make the older one feel like it is their baby too. Let her be involved. Give her jobs to do to help the baby, get a diaper, wipes, pick out outfits. Just don't leave her out, allow her to love the baby too, and be a big sister. She's at the age she'll love to be a helper!
cleanfreakmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM
I understand your concer, I too had this concern but my son was only 11 months and 3 weeks when his sister is born!! Include your oldest when you are changing the babies diaper, or feedings, or just snuggle time. Make sure you spend alone time your oldest when the baby is napping and make sure you have just you time with her!!! Also watch to make sure your oldest understands to be gentle with the baby and to wait to hold or love on the baby until mommy can help!
threesharelove
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Well, there really isn't a cure for this. Just give them both equal attention like you said. Your one year old won't understand that the baby needs more attention, but just let her help you do stuff with the baby. SHe'll be fine :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured