Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gluten Free Diet with a Case of Acid Reflux

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM
  • 4 Replies

DD has an appointment next week with her doctor but was wondering how many people are on a gluten free diet and have acid reflux. DD hasn't had acid reflux since she was a baby. She is now 11 and is having problems again. Not sure if it is related to foods with gluten. She has sharp or burning chest pain behind chest bone, regurgitation "hot fluids coming up throat", difficult swallowing, horseness especially in morning, sore throat, and coughing to clear throat. symptoms are not everyday. They come and go 2-3 days apart. Foods that bother her bread, chocolate, syrup, egg yoke, peanut butter, Milk, vinegar, cereal, poptarts, ice cream, oatmeal, banana, cheese, bacon, mashed potatoes, marsh mellow, yogurt, chips, rice, butter, jelly, and chili. So far that's what is on our list to take to doctor next week. A lot has gluten in it. 

I would like to try a gluten free diet but not sure where to begin. Where can I find a list of foods with gluten and a list of foods that are good for you. 

This child loves Takis but those do not bother her, "so she says". So I'm wondering if she does have acid reflux or not. I have it and Takis flare mine up. Some of these foods make her go to the bathroom instantly. So many questions and next week can't get here fast enough. 

by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:45 AM
I stopped having those issues when we went low carb and just less gluten ( not 100% free ) it has helped.
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 12:53 AM

I'd wait until you see the doctor before you alter her diet.

Hope she gets some relief!

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 20, 2017 at 1:40 AM
Takis gave one of my daughters food poisoning. They were her favorite chip, now she won't touch them. They would give her acod reflux too. I'm betting that your daughter gets acid reflux from them as well, but she doesn't want to tell you since you will probably take her favorite chips away from her life.

Most tomatoes and tomato sauces aggravate my acid reflux. So do pizza rolls.

Good luck with trying to weed everything out that gives her acid reflux. I'm betting red dye stuff is part of the culprit.
goldpandora
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2017 at 1:43 AM

I agree entirely because if the doctor wants to run tests an altered diet can seriously skew the results.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I'd wait until you see the doctor before you alter her diet.

Hope she gets some relief!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)