Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son sleeps good all day but not at night!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM
  • 10 Replies
He is 6 weeks old how do I break the cycle, he don't know night from day what can I do about that???? 
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by Member on Jan. 20, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Try to keep him up more during the day by playing with him. It will take some time and quite honestly with our 4th child, no matter what we tried, she still would not sleep at night. ;)
robinann5
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM
I agree with the previous mom, play with him more during the day, try to keep him awake as much as possible. Also during the day wake him for feedings, but do not wake him at night. It'll take time, but stick with it, it "should" work!
Wendalynne
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Here's what you do:  (or at least here's what I did and it works!!)

every day, you make a routine for him bc you have to teach him night from day.  you feed him at 7am and then play with him until he gets tired (it might even be only like 20 minutes at his age) then you put him to sleep, then when he wakes up, you feed and do it over and over  Eat, Activity, Sleep, Eat, Activity, Sleep all day......he probably eats every 2 or 3 hours...then after like 7:30 pm, you don't "play", you just put him back to sleep and then the last feed is at 11:00 pm and you do it very quietly and then put him back in bed.  He will wake up around 2 and then 4 or 5 and then 7 (when "day" begins)  When he gets a little older, he will stop the 1 or 2 am feed.  Sleeping "through the night" really only means like 5 or 6 hours.  This info came from the book The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg.  It is awesome, it totally makes sense.  My baby is 4 months old and I do this type of routine and it's great bc I always know when he's hungry, tired or bored and he sleeps 6-8 hours at night!!
oh, and you never let him sleep more than 2 hours at a time during the day until after 11pm
It works!!!!
sassy_momma
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 11:56 PM
I SOOOOO understand where you're coming from.  It sounds like his days and nights are mixed up.  Here's some things that can help.  Establish a bedtime routine and stick to it every night.  Also, when you want him to sleep, leave the lights off and let him know that's what that means.  Don't have a lot of music, lights, etc. on when you want him to sleep.  Try giving him a bath before bedtime.  My son's problem is he is used to nursing to sleep.  So I am having a hard time breaking him from that!  Also my problem is getting him to bed at an earlier time.  He wants to go to sleep between midnight and 2 A.M.!!  I'd love for him to sleep from like 10 P.M. until about 7 in the morning.  haha!!  Yea right.  There's a book that a friend gsve me...The No-Cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley.  This book may help you. 
JaceAlexander
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 9:27 AM
first off, hes a baby. and not that old at that. they need alot of sleep when they are that young, but, if you play with him more bring the day and get into a certine routine at night, like dimming the lights at a certine time and making it realy quiet he will start to realize that this isnt playtime anymore. it worked for my son. hope i caould help.
MyboyJustin
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Mine 3week old does the same thing any advice you get please forward it to me.

Elizabeth
krysten78
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Awww.... I remember those days!  Believe it or not, in like a year you will look back and miss them!!!  I know, your thinking I am CRAZY, but my son just turned one and I miss the infant days!!!

The best advice I got when TJ had days/nights confused:  Do the routine mentioned above : eat, activity, sleep during the day.  Make sure as soon as sunlight hits, all of your blinds, curtians (whatever) are open and it is VERY bright in your house during the day.  Once like 7 or 8 pm comes around, keep your house as dimly lit as possible.  When baby wakes for feedings at night, don't turn lights or TV on, keep it dark & quiet.  Whisper, or I was told not even to talk to my son at night (I whispered:).  It took about a week (maybe less) and it worked!  Thank god, cause I was like a walking zombie!!!

Best of luck to you, most important, as rough as it is, try to enjoy it.  They are only that little once and it doesn't last long!
Maa-slim
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Hi Mommalor,

Find  toy's he like playing with, eg : talking or soud toys, and change toys every 30min. if you are a stay home mom, make  time for him every 2-3 hours to sit and play with him for 15min. Give him his evening bath late between 10pm-11pm.

Maa-slim
practicalchick
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:11 PM
You keep him awake during the day and get ready for a day full of crying.  Give him two naps - and don't let them go past an hour.  Tickle him, annoy him, make him cry...whatever it takes to get him to stay awake.  I had to to do it with my niece.  It took me two days - but her parents never had the problem after that.
RaeMarie07
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM
HI, I was having the same problem for awhile but then I put her on Cereal now she sleeps threw the night , she only sleeps like 2 hrs if I am lucky during the day. Try using cereal at night it worked for me.  If your not sure on how to mix cereal just let me know I can explain it to you.. I just make her regular formula and put cereal in it to make it thinker.. just make sure you cut the nipple to make it easy-er to drink.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured