Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Much Food?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
I was wondering how much food should my 14 month old be eating?

We try for 3 meals a day plus a snack or two. We serve him a wide variety of foods but he isn't that interested. Sometimes he eats pretty well. Then other times he will eat a few bites then spit it out then starts throwing his food.

For the most part he feeds himself. He will let us feed him but if he gets real fussy, we just let him try to feed himself. Certain foods he prefers cut up and others he likes in big pieces. It really all depends.

I still breastfeed him 3x a days. That's about all he will do. He gets water and on occasion juice after his meal or snack. But I wonder if he is eating enough. Should he be eating more?
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K3412
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:06 PM
That sounds like plenty. Get your cues from him. He will eat if he's hungry. He will not eat if he's not hungry.
goddess99
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM
It sounds like he's getting enough. He won't let himself go hungry. I used to leave out certain snacks so my DD always had something to go to.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:15 PM
He's doing fine. Toddler eating habits can be very strange. Does he eat with you at meals? Mine wouldn't eat unless someone was eating with them. If you could maybe get him to nurse one more time a day, it would be good, but if he won't, don't worry about it. Babies don't grow nearly as fast once they're past that first year.
SavySnap91
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM

That sounds fine. Mine ate their meals when we did, sometimes they just wanted to breastfeed or play, sometimes they'd eat a full meal. We just let them do their own thing at that age and took our cues from them.

BearFamily12
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 7:41 AM
He loves when his older brother eats with him. In fact, it's how I can get him to try new food! If his brother eats it and shows ds#2, ds#2 will eat it too.

Quoting MusherMaggie: He's doing fine. Toddler eating habits can be very strange. Does he eat with you at meals? Mine wouldn't eat unless someone was eating with them. If you could maybe get him to nurse one more time a day, it would be good, but if he won't, don't worry about it. Babies don't grow nearly as fast once they're past that first year.
lovingladyo4
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. Children eat when they are hungry. Establishing a family routine does begin now, but it will take a while before it gets fully implemented. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

At that age I never worried they ate too much or too little really.  I had one that ate well at that age and one that would eat a lot one day and next to nothing the next.  Didn't have picky kids either.  

Keep offering new foods and do not feed crap foods or that is all they want to eat like hot dogs, fries, chicken nuggets, processed foods.  They have little nutrition. 

mama2b100808
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM

I would do this also. :) 

Quoting K3412: That sounds like plenty. Get your cues from him. He will eat if he's hungry. He will not eat if he's not hungry.

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Just keep offering 3 meals a day and two snacks. Offer small servings of food, you can always offer more if he is still hungry. Breast feeding 3 times a day, some water with meals and a little juice sounds good.

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM
Quoting atlmom2:

At that age I never worried they ate too much or too little really.  I had one that ate well at that age and one that would eat a lot one day and next to nothing the next.  Didn't have picky kids either.  

Keep offering new foods and do not feed crap foods or that is all they want to eat like hot dogs, fries, chicken nuggets, processed foods.  They have little nutrition. 

And way too much sodium.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)