Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool help

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:17 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hi everyone,
My son is 2.5 and speech delayed (has about 30 words but needs to be prompted to say them.) I financially need to go back to work and he needs to go to a full day preschool 8-5. I am completely panicked even though his sister went to the same preschool for many years so I'm really very comfortable there. I just have no idea how he is going to adjust with being with me 24/7 to being without be for so many hours a day and since he is not verbal he can't express his wants/needs/feelings. The preschools says it will be fine and his speech will improve quickly but I am beyond anxious. Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome? He is receiving speech therapy and will soon be evaluated by the school district but at this point he doesn't have access to a special ed classroom or anything. Thanks for reading
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:32 AM

I think it can't hurt.

Good luck!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:55 AM

He may mirror his peers and as mentioned improve greatly with his speech as he will be surrounded with kids his own age. 

mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:27 AM
It will probably be good for him. Good luck.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Probably good for him,
Best of luck :)

o0gone0o
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

It will be good for him. My son at 22months had the language development of a 12month old. He had early intervention services from that point until he was 3. Then he went to prek. Originally they set him up in a classroom with other kids that did not talk much more than him. His language skills were increasing but slowly. Come kindergarten he was placed in a regular education classroom with special education supplement and continued speech therapy. His language skills exploded that year.

Now heading into 4th grade and he is towards the top of his class just has a few modifications made. He has a processing delay disorder so he needs just a little more time to spit the answer out. He knows the answers he knows what he wants to say but it takes a few moments for him to write it down or say it and if you rush him he sounds like he has a stutter as he's trying to spit all the info out at once but if he stops lets his mouth catch up with his brain it comes out nice and fluent.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Let us know what you decided ;)

goddess99
by on Aug. 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM
He'll love it. The school teachers, aides, whoever will help him.
yvonne37
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:01 PM

feeling that way is normal, just breath and take it easy.. as they told you, he will be fine :)

Azure
by on Aug. 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM

All of my kids except one have had issues with speech and it's completely normal what you're feeling.

It will do more harm than good if you keep him home. It's true that being there will help his speech.

Have you met with individual teacher/s yet? That's something to do and let them know about the speech issue. You can also write down how he says certain things and regular sound errors he makes. That will help them to understand him better.

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM

it would be hard to put him in there with him not being very verbal. It is good that you know the people there though. How soon do you start work. Can he do a few half days before then? being around other kids could help him with his speech

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)