Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We're moving!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:13 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

OK so for the last 5 years my husband and I have been in a TINY 2 bedroom house (650 square ft) with our 3 kids. We're finally in a spot to be able to get out of this place and into something bigger! We're going into a Rent to Own situation as well which is super exciting!

So I'm sitting here making a list of all the things I need to do and all the things that I'm going to need to get and it got me thinking. What do others buy when they're moving into a bigger house or when they buy a house?

So far I have:

Table (large family table with leaves and at least 6 if not 8 chairs)

3 beds both mattress and frame (the ones they have now are getting too small)

Linolium or Vin flooring for the dining room (currently has carpet which has GOT TO GO!)

And I"m drawing a blank after that. Is there anything odd you ladies think of that I might add? And what did you buy when moving?

by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:29 AM
It just depends on your needs. Good luck. It is exciting.
o0gone0o
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't buy linolium for the dining room. Wait and see what the floor looks like under the carpet, you may have hardwood floors that just need cleaned up.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:36 AM
Find the house before you make your list. You may find a house with hard wood floors. You may find a house that's dining space doesn't fit. The table your thinking. You might need a round one. If you find a 4 bedroom you might think about having kids share so you have a playroom.
2murphyboys
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:53 AM

I guess I need to mention we've actually already found a place. We're just waiting on a few things and we're planning on being in by the end of the month.

I wish it had hardwood floors! Unfortunately it's a modular home so I honestly doubt it. The owner says that the carpet has been in there since they bought it (and his mom has owned it since a year after it was made). 

o0gone0o
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Oh yea most definitely not hardwood under there. I'd do wood look laminate or tile in the carpets place.

Quoting 2murphyboys:

I guess I need to mention we've actually already found a place. We're just waiting on a few things and we're planning on being in by the end of the month.

I wish it had hardwood floors! Unfortunately it's a modular home so I honestly doubt it. The owner says that the carpet has been in there since they bought it (and his mom has owned it since a year after it was made). 

K3412
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:04 AM
Things will come up once you get into the house. I wouldn't get too worked up about it now.

And I hope the rent to own thing works out. I've only heard bad things about that arrangement.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:26 AM

It all depends .. congrats & good luck :)

janessa27
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Does it already have blinds/curtains, shower rods, toilet paper holders, towel holders, etc? 

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Are you going to be responsible for the yard/lawn?  You'll need stuff for that.

mikesmom65270
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM

We did a similar move several years ago. The furniture you list is a good idea, would hold on the vinyl and look into laminate flooring if possible. When we moved, we moved first and then decided what we needed to buy and what needed to be changed. It doesn't need to be perfect right away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)