Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Accidents" Updated

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:08 PM
  • 24 Replies
Here over the last few days, DS (he's 6) has been having several. He's been fully potty trained since he was like 2.5. I have no idea why he's been not going to the restroom when he feels the urge other than laziness (there has been one instance that couldn't be avoided, but the rest absolutely could have been)

What can I do to get him back on track before school starts back up on the 23rd? He's going to wash the wet clothes (with help) and be taken to the restroom every half hour. Any other ideas?

Update:
So after having lost privileges for a few days and us getting on him to try multiple times throughout the day, DS has been accident free for a bit now! He is slowly earning privileges back, but I know it's still something we will be working on for a bit. Thank you everyone for the kind words :)
by on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:19 PM
That should help him.
If it continues maybe schedule a doctor appointment.
knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Is he struggling with constipation / large, painful BM's? I have a small home daycare and the well potty trained almost 4 year old had a setback about 4 months ago after she started struggling with constipation. She would avoid potty trips in order to try and avoid a painful BM and then end up peeing herself. We knew something was up because she started resisting a trip to the bathroom at normal potty break times.

Otherwise, ask him. If you don't get anything conclusive and there's been no trauma/ big changes recently, I would just lay down the law. Tell him that he is NOT a baby and there is no excuse for him using his pants like a diaper. Have him clean up the messes, clean himself and change himself.

If a few times of that doesn't work, maybe see a Dr?
AllTimeLowMama
by Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:25 PM
His 6yr well check is tomorrow, so I may have DF mention it and see if the doctor is concerned at all.

Quoting virginiamama71: That should help him.
If it continues maybe schedule a doctor appointment.
AllTimeLowMama
by Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Not that I've noticed. I think it has to mostly do with him not wanting to take a break from playing to go.

His 6yr well check is tomorrow, so I may have DF mention it and see if the doctor is concerned at all.

Quoting knoxmomof2: Is he struggling with constipation / large, painful BM's? I have a small home daycare and the well potty trained almost 4 year old had a setback about 4 months ago after she started struggling with constipation. She would avoid potty trips in order to try and avoid a painful BM and then end up peeing herself. We knew something was up because she started resisting a trip to the bathroom at normal potty break times.

Otherwise, ask him. If you don't get anything conclusive and there's been no trauma/ big changes recently, I would just lay down the law. Tell him that he is NOT a baby and there is no excuse for him using his pants like a diaper. Have him clean up the messes, clean himself and change himself.

If a few times of that doesn't work, maybe see a Dr?
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 12:14 AM

Yes the playing can take a back seat to it.
Maybe have everone just stop for a bit  .. good luck :)l

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I've known kids that would do this because they didn't want to stop playing
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Reminders every so often and if he refuses make him go tell him no more playing unless he tries to go
kryysteez
by Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Dont let him have vaccines or it will get worse.  Vaccines cause a lot of problems.

AllTimeLowMama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM
My son is fully vaxxed and I have no plans to deviate from that. Get out of here with your anti-vax BS.

Quoting kryysteez:

Dont let him have vaccines or it will get worse.  Vaccines cause a lot of problems.

AllTimeLowMama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM
We are trying this too. We also took away his TV to see if that helps.

Quoting Stevensmomma: Reminders every so often and if he refuses make him go tell him no more playing unless he tries to go
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)