Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to another state with a child

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:26 AM
  • 35 Replies
Hi everyone! I'm needing some advice on how to deal with a move to a different state with my 5 yr old daughter.We are living in TN and talking about moving to Florida, this will be her first move and she is the type that doesn't handle change good. My husband got a good better job offer and maybe a better education for our daughter. She is very close to my parents,like has to go to their house almost everyday. And now if we move it probably be after the first of the yr before she can see them again.she just started kindergarten here in TN and still little scared and nervous,and then in about a month go to a different state and school. And leave her friends and family behind. We tried sitting her down and talking to her about it, and she knows that we will be leaving her mamaw and papaw and everything. But I don't think she really understands what all involved. So please any advice would be helpful.
by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:30 AM

I think they more matter of fact you make it the easier it is. Also dont constantly talk about it. What part of Fl ?

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:02 AM
Well I think talking about the positive and making her feel happy about it is best don't just move and hope she adjusts that will make it worse
jodi1589
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM
Ok thank you. And we'll be in Ocala.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think they more matter of fact you make it the easier it is. Also dont constantly talk about it. What part of Fl ?

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Research schools and neighborhoods. When you do go and look at places , go to the police station and ask if they would live there. I have found their opinion to be very helpful.

Quoting jodi1589: Ok thank you. And we'll be in Ocala.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

PaddyWhack
by Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM

I don't have any experience with this but here's a bump!

heart_n_soul
by Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Just be matter of fact about it. This is what is happening, here is why it'll be good. 

jodi1589
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Were already checking into the schools. And my husband is from ocala so he already know about it.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Research schools and neighborhoods. When you do go and look at places , go to the police station and ask if they would live there. I have found their opinion to be very helpful.

Quoting jodi1589: Ok thank you. And we'll be in Ocala.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 1:13 PM

We moved many times with our kids including overseas so I am an expert on moving with kids.  Florida has crappy schools if you want to know the truth  

We have never lived near family even before kids.  Dh moved for work and then moved 9 more times for work.  

We kept our kids involved with family and they visited and we visited.  Our girls are adults and clearly say they are glad they moved like they did.  They think kids who never move are strange and not every worldly and many are closed minded and haven't experienced what they have.  

Any other questions, your dd will be fine and adjust just fine if you don't make a big deal about it.  

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 1:46 PM

With her by your side, look up fun things for children her age to do in the area, museums and the like. Does she like horses? there are lots of Paso Fino farms in the area to visit.

jodi1589
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM
Thank you! My husband moved around a lot his whole,were I lived in my child hood home until I moved out. I've never really been a way from my home,except onetime and I came back to my home state. So its really hard for me to think about leaving my home and family. Were talking about maybe a private Christian school. We looked at one That's $250 a month for schooling.

Quoting atlmom2:

We moved many times with our kids including overseas so I am an expert on moving with kids.  Florida has crappy schools if you want to know the truth  

We have never lived near family even before kids.  Dh moved for work and then moved 9 more times for work.  

We kept our kids involved with family and they visited and we visited.  Our girls are adults and clearly say they are glad they moved like they did.  They think kids who never move are strange and not every worldly and many are closed minded and haven't experienced what they have.  

Any other questions, your dd will be fine and adjust just fine if you don't make a big deal about it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)