Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son ate lunch alone :(

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:36 PM
  • 35 Replies
My son entered 9th grade, high school on friday, he chose to go to a new school (an alternative school) like his older sister because he has social anxiety in big crowds, he is also kind of shy. This alternative school has done wonders for my daughter. So I agreed to let him go. He knows no one there but his sister, her best friend and her boyfriend. My daughter leaves at 1230 to go to her college clasees, sometimes earlier but sometimes she stays to sit with them. But today he told me he ate alone :-( I tried not to let him see it made me sad, but boy it did! It didn't seem to bother him though! I know it's only the 4th day of school and I should probably give it time right? Sorry more venting here than anything. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated ❤
by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM
I'm sorry. Hugs to y'all and I hope he makes lots of friends.
mamamedic69
by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:54 PM

(((hugs)))) It is still the beginning of the year so in time he will begin to know some other kids and they will begin to know him. The whole age/grade is difficult due to a new school (now in high school), new schedules, new hormones to regulate, the normal teen awkwardness etc.

Give it time mama. 

yvonne37
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

give it time.  and dont feel sad, sometimes its good to be alone for a little  :)

3Junebabies
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 9:58 PM
I can relate. My daughter ate lunch alone for several years. Even now, she sits at a table with a bunch of kids but still, she's alone. Like your son, she doesn't mind. If it doesn't bother him, I wouldn't worry. It is the beginning of the year. I'm sure someone will come along.
SpoiledBratt
by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Oh no so sorry to hear this ! But yes it will take time and before u know it he'll have so many friends. I know the feeling thou my daughter started 2nd grade and she came home telling me she has no one to play with at her new school that she just walks around all by herself yes it killed me I cried like a big baby but now she's doing a lil better and I'm pretty sure this will pass ! But good luck to ur son.
High school can be hard at times keep ur head up momma
heart_n_soul
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Give it time. It's only the first day, and you said yourself he's shy, has anxiety, and doesn't know anyone there. Honestly I'd have been more surprised if he didn't eat alone.
2murphyboys
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Give it time. As long as he's not sad about it leave it be. He'll eventually get more comfortable and open up and start making friends.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 10:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 24, 2017 at 12:14 AM

Aww sorry to hear this ;(
Maybe suggest he see if there is one boy he can approach w/ just a *hi* .. How's it going & see how that goes.
Hugs to you both :)

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 7:22 AM
He will make new friends. It takes time.
EmilyH87
by Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 7:38 AM
You definitelt need to give it time. Just chill a little. When I got into high school by best friend went to another school and it took me awhile to get my own new friend group. It'll happen. Like you said, he wasn't too bothered so let him fit into high school naturally. It's an adjustment. For him and the other freshmen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)