Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still not sleeping through the night

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 9 month old son Will is still NOTsleeping through the night.  He has slept through the night before but keeps reverting back to the mid night snack.  At his 9 month check up the Dr. said I needed to put an end to this, and I know that I do for mine and my husbands sanity.  And here comes the but, but I am a stay at home mother and my husband works,  it gets difficult when I try to let the baby cry it out (and believe me he can cry) his room is directly under ours and there is practically just a wood floor between us.  my friends say you just need 3 nights and he will get it but we can't get past the  first night.   Can anyone help me???
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lilBeachmama
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Well, doesn't help you guys at getting a full nights sleep regardless if your up feeding him or he's crying right. Do you feed him right before bedtime? What do you give him?

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM
sleeping in 5 hrs increments is considered sleeping through so your gonna get up @ some point any how why not co sleep that way all of you get some sleep
GotWILL
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM
I get up with him and feed him (formula) because it keeps him quiet and he goes right back to sleep, then I don't have to listen to my husband whine.  And I think the five hour thing is more for the younger babies , my Dr. said I could have been trying to get him to sleep at night at 4 months old, which I wish he would have told me that sooner it probably would have been easier.
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Quoting GotWILL:

I get up with him and feed him (formula) because it keeps him quiet and he goes right back to sleep, then I don't have to listen to my husband whine.  And I think the five hour thing is more for the younger babies , my Dr. said I could have been trying to get him to sleep at night at 4 months old, which I wish he would have told me that sooner it probably would have been easier.

He prob didnt want you to gasp when he was reffering to CIO
beachdreaming
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM
I would feed him oatmeal before his bedtime..  Maybe his stomach isnt completely full if you are just feeding him a bottle.. Also try giving him a bath with lavender.. One that works for my son is the Johnson & Johnson bath soap.. it is purple color.. dont remember the exact name of it.. I hope these ideas help..

Blessings & Love,

Wendi 

Just try it and watch your life change! www.vc.tv

scaredtofail
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Could your husband sleep in a different room for a few nights where he might not hear the crying?  I know of a book called Baby Wise that might help (it is a Christian based book).  I know you are past this now but they teach you how to get baby to sleep through the night at 6-8 weeks old. - No lie - it worked for me and my friends.  I think they have since written Toddler Wise and such.  The authors name is Ezzo.  Hang in there!!
What you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?
Wendalynne
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Another good book is The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg....she is the middle ground between CIO and rocking all night etc.  I think it will help.  She has a "pick up put down" method to get your kid to fall back asleep.  According to her, you have done "accidental parenting" by feeding at night and it will take a few nights to correct it.  You know that at 9months your baby isn't hungry so if you keep feeding him, he will expect it every night.  Rather than letting the poor thing cry (and keep your husband up) all night, you pick him up and comfort him until he stops crying, then when he stops, you put him down, when he starts, you pick him up and this goes on and on and on.....(I know, it sounds horrible but she says it will work) eventually, he will get tired out and go back to sleep.  When you do this pick up put down thing, the baby doesn't learn to rely on you rocking him or feeding him to sleep thru the night and it should just take a few nights....
lilBeachmama
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Quoting GotWILL:

I used to give my son cereal before bedtime to help his belly be more full through the night. Although... we were blessed and he was an all nighter (not just that 5 hr thing) by like 5 months! Maybe give him some more heartier food before bedtime to keep his lil belly from waking him up.

PS: not thick spooning cereal... just enough to thicken a bottle of formula or milk.

cleanfreakmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I know what you are going through, my first baby was so easy and slept thru the night at 3 months but my second didn't sleep thru the night till she was 1 yr!! It is hard but babies go according to their own schedule. My third baby now sleeps thru the night at 3 months which is wonderful. Try to limit your babies number of naps during the day time, and not to let him sleep after 5 pm. Also I feed my baby a bottle before he lays down and put a tablespoon of cereal in his nightime bottle. I understand the not being able to do the tough love and let him cry, I too am a stay at home mom. He will sleep thru the night in his own time. Hope this helps!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured