Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 5 yr old daughter wakes us up at least 3 times a night she wont sleep through the night please help what to do

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
my 5 yr old wakes my husband and I every night at least 3 times a night please HELP what to do?
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
scaredtofail
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM
What is her reason?  Is she scared - give her more light in her room.  Is she thirsty - leave water by her bed.  My daughter (8) sleeps with a flashlight and a night light.  That helps her.  Once you find out the reason (talk to her during the day) and you know she is okay and safe - be firm and set some guidelines.  My friends daughter is almost 9 and she is still waking her up every-night.  Stop it now before she it is a habit.

PS I just remembered my son went through a spell like this and after 2 weeks of not telling me why, he admitted he was afraid of the dark closet which faced his bed - I rearranged his room (with his help) and he was fine.
What you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?
Serendipitydoo
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM
A wonderful friend of mine told me to try Calms Forte (Google It).
It is a natural relaxant for children.
Other than that I am fresh out of ideas.
My son is 1 1/2 and he wakes up at sporadic times.
Annoying!!!!!!!!!

truetigress
by Member on Jan. 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM
My pedi said to start giving my restless daughter seratonin. He said it is a mineral so it's okay for them and that it can be found in a health food store or drug store.

black-seed-lady
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 2:05 PM
Peace,
     Maybe a warm bath before bed with lavender oil, or some lotion with lavender in it. Story time instead of TV before bed, to wind down some. Cut out nap time in the day if she is taking naps.
     Take a look at sugar intake, too much sugar makes children have a sugar rush. Hope this info is helpful.
              Peace, www.black-seed-lady.com
naymommy
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Quoting truetigress:

My pedi said to start giving my restless daughter seratonin. He said it is a mineral so it's okay for them and that it can be found in a health food store or drug store.

Its acctually melatonin.  I wouldnt do that until you figure out what going on with her.  Like the PP said rule out whats causing the fear.  Most of the time it is dark or something that is scary.  I have relaxing music I play for my kids.  As much as I would love to decorate their walls I leave them pretty blank to  cause less shadows in the dark closet doors and a night light.  My daughter is almost htree and has only gotten up 2 times  since she has been in her big girl bed a year ago.  It was the nights we took the nightlight out becasue my son kept pulling it out and trying to play with the socket so I had put the plug covers back in.  Make her room a safe haven.. My daughter has a blankie and special stuffed friends that sleep with her everynight plus the other mentioned things.  And right now a humidifier that blows. (It is white noise that helps them sleep as well.)  I was a kid that went to my parents room until 6th grade becasue I was scared so I understand.  If it is scared of the underbed that I was make sure she has a lamp next to her bed that she can turn on and off before she gets out of bed.  Get a bed skirt on if you don't have one that helps the big void under there.  Just ask her what is bothering her.  If she is having scary dreams she may need to be comforted.  Then question what is she watching.  Even Disney movies have a lot of things that can scare little kids.  Good luck!!
T.DuPont
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM
Hi-
     I have three kids and the older two have night terrors verry bad so i feel your pain.  but i try to keep in mind what went on in my own mind when i was five.  i just remember thinking that if i didn't go get in the bed with my parents then something or someone was going to get me.  and honestly i am going through that exact same thing with my 4 year old daughter right now.  my husband has no patience with her on this, but like i said remember what was going on in your mind at age 5! 
     So my advise for you, go lay with her when you put her to bed and just ask what she is thinking when she sporadically wakes up in the middle of the night and you can offer her some ways of puting her self back to sleep without waking you up.  but do let her know that you are there for her if she can't get her self back t sleep!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured