Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I let my three week old baby do this?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 3:03 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hello ladies I am a ftm and I let my son use me as a pacifier for the first time ever. I couldn't figure out what he wanted I tried giving him a pacifier and he spit it out as soon as I offered him my breast he started sucking and fell asleep. None the less he was crying for 40 mins before. But is this okay or should I somehow stop this?
by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Sep. 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM
Just like adults, sometimes babies need some chill time. They feel most comfortable with Mom having a warm milk. Just like some adults have a favorite chair and cold beer. He may also be feeling a bit more hungry today. If he continues day in and day out for months, be concerned. For now, try to enjoy the cuddles.
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 3:34 PM

Yes, you should!

It's very typical to have a growth spurt at 3 weeks (and 6 weeks and 6 months) and your baby will want to breastfeed more requently, sometimes every hour!

If your baby seems to want to nurse, by all means, nurse him, even if it hasn't been that long since the last time.  Your body will respond and make more milk and then everything will even out again.

You should join the Breastfeeding Moms group for a lot of great info about breastfeeding.

Quoting Brett1993: Hello ladies I am a ftm and I let my son use me as a pacifier for the first time ever. I couldn't figure out what he wanted I tried giving him a pacifier and he spit it out as soon as I offered him my breast he started sucking and fell asleep. None the less he was crying for 40 mins before. But is this okay or should I somehow stop this?

nanasue31204
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM
Yes, let him suckle as often as he wants. Growth spurts start around that age. Also he just wants his mom for comfort, it lasts for such a short time, enjoy it. I have a 13, 11, 9, 5 and 8 week old and I'm treasuring every second of my baby because I blinked and had a 13 year old with major attitude who doesn't need me much anymore lol!
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Yes..

K3412
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM
Is that an expression of gender you are comfortable with?
rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 8:28 PM
That's a personal choice. I've always allowed it for my kids until I weaned them and it's always worked for us. It can be annoying at times but ultimately it was best for us. None of my kids really took to pacifiers anyway, they just wanted mommy. And bonus, I didn't have to wean any of them from a paci! ;)
JTE11
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM
Absolutely not, give him what he needs.
AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 4:41 PM

You should feed your 3 week old as often has he wants

wingmom
by on Sep. 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM

Absolutely. Obviously what you did was successful and he rested! victory!

heart_n_soul
by Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 3:47 AM
Absolutely ok.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)