Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I move a lot with children.

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:41 AM
  • 20 Replies
There is a lot of debate regarding children and moving from home to home. When I divorced in 2011, being a single mother I had to move a lot becuase rent would go up which was unaffordable or better opportunities to save money on rent would present itself, so I'd take it. My kids dad bought a house and we have had 50/50 parenting time, so he has always held a stable location. Growing up my mom moved a lot too, still does but my dad always remained in the same place, this has never bothered me that my mom moved a lot and because I move a lot I feel like I understand her reasoning for having to move a lot. My sister, her husband and their children have moved a lot becuase her husband is military, so considering all the factors is moving a lot really that bad? I know a lot of people who are adults now who grew up moving a lot and they don't present it having ever been a problem for them growing up. I've always lived within 10 minutes of my kids dad even though I moved a lot but last year I moved 45 minutes away but want to move back so that my kids can have both me and their dad within reasonable distance of each other again,so I feel like us moving again isn't a bad thing..right?
I can't figure out what the best option is, my new husband and I currently work 10 minutes from where we live and my daughter is a sophomore in high school, my kids don't get the parenting time they deserve becuase of the distance between me and my xhusband. If we move back, my kids will get the parenting time they deserve and I'll easily be able to transfer my job so I can still work close to home but my husband will have to travel some distance to and from work every day or get a new job and my daughter would have to transfer schools which makes me feel bad becuase of the friendships she made at her high school, please help me decide what's best for my children!!
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Just stay where you are until she graduates from high school.

What's the ages of the other children?
Do you still rent or are you buying now?
How much more are you making when you move due to an increase in income?
Rlmori2010
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:48 AM
Military families move all the time, some every 9 months and others every 2 years.
hotspice58
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:27 AM

crap.  Does your husband work in a field where he can get a job quickly?  What's not alot of parenting time?

mrblfit
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM
Yes he works in a field where he can get a job quickly.. my other child is 11.
Parenting time, my daughter doesn't get to see her dad almost never during the year and son doesn't get to see his mom very often, wouldn't both kids getting more parenting time be the better option?

Quoting hotspice58:

crap.  Does your husband work in a field where he can get a job quickly?  What's not alot of parenting time?

hotspice58
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Yes.  Is your husband on board with moving?

Quoting mrblfit: Yes he works in a field where he can get a job quickly.. my other child is 11. Parenting time, my daughter doesn't get to see her dad almost never during the year and son doesn't get to see his mom very often, wouldn't both kids getting more parenting time be the better option?
Quoting hotspice58:

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Moving around is not good, shows instability, and leads to a chaotic life.

Whatever you decide make sure you dont move again. This is nuts.

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:50 PM
Can they visit with the other parent on the weekends, holidays, days off from school and in the summer?

Quoting mrblfit: Yes he works in a field where he can get a job quickly.. my other child is 11.
Parenting time, my daughter doesn't get to see her dad almost never during the year and son doesn't get to see his mom very often, wouldn't both kids getting more parenting time be the better option?

Quoting hotspice58:

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Talk to your kids about it. They may be perfectly happy where the are currently.

mrblfit
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:04 AM
Yes my husband is on board with moving.

Quoting hotspice58:

Yes.  Is your husband on board with moving?

Quoting mrblfit: Yes he works in a field where he can get a job quickly.. my other child is 11.

Quoting hotspice58:

mrblfit
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:06 AM
The only time they get to see the other parent currently is mostly during the summer but if we move within minutes of each other they could see the other parent more regularly.

Quoting virginiamama71: Can they visit with the other parent on the weekends, holidays, days off from school and in the summer?

Quoting hotspice58:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)