Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Other Ways to Comfort

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:18 PM
  • 13 Replies
I was wondering how to get my 15 momth ds#2 to find another comfort method other than nursing. Don't get me wrong. I love nursing him and don't mind that it comforts him. However nursing is the one sure fire thing.

Lately at night I feel he is nursing more for comfort than milk. He'll want to nurse for 45 mins or so and still get upset when I try to end the session. He cries terribly and begs for me. I feel as if it's disrupting him from a good sleep. I don't know what to do with him.

Any advice?
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingladyo4
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate to hear you are flustered about this - it is only for such a short season of your baby's life. As time consuming as it is, think of how this is so critically satisfying to him. He needs to suck for a reason and I personally believe that by denying him this, you can disrupt his security. I know others might disagree with that, but a child at this young age needs to have this fulfilled. 

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:37 PM

I think this is spot on.

OP - you might try a comfort item for him to snuggle while you snuggle with him and see if he'll take to that when he's done nursing.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

I hate to hear you are flustered about this - it is only for such a short season of your baby's life. As time consuming as it is, think of how this is so critically satisfying to him. He needs to suck for a reason and I personally believe that by denying him this, you can disrupt his security. I know others might disagree with that, but a child at this young age needs to have this fulfilled. 

BearFamily12
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:17 PM
Thank you.

I never realized how more in depth breastfeeding was. I constantly wonder if I am doing the right thing.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

lovingladyo4
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You are doing the right thing momma! Don't quit! There are so many critical developmental things going on here - emotionally speaking - that your baby needs. 

Quoting BearFamily12: Thank you. I never realized how more in depth breastfeeding was. I constantly wonder if I am doing the right thing.
Quoting lovingladyo4:

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 9:53 AM
He's still young yet. Nursing patterns change tremendously around eighteen months when they're better established on solids. Also, offer more during the day. He is also going through growth and developmental milestones that are unsettling. I always wrnt with the flow when it came to nursing and didn't fight what was normal and natural.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting BearFamily12: Thank you.

I never realized how more in depth breastfeeding was. I constantly wonder if I am doing the right thing.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

You are absolutely doing the right thing! Breastfeeding is so much more than food. It establishes neural pathways, promotes proper facial structure, and so much more! Look up La Leche League at LLLI.org to see if there is a group that meets near you. I found lots of support in the group I attended, and eventually became a La Leche League Leader.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:56 PM
Get a lovey and start a comforting routine
BearFamily12
by Member on Sep. 27, 2017 at 4:37 PM
I might do that! I always feel like I have so many questions!

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting BearFamily12: Thank you.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

You are absolutely doing the right thing! Breastfeeding is so much more than food. It establishes neural pathways, promotes proper facial structure, and so much more! Look up La Leche League at LLLI.org to see if there is a group that meets near you. I found lots of support in the group I attended, and eventually became a La Leche League Leader.
jlm1980
by New Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 1:43 AM

There is something so special about breastfeeding for both the child and the mother.  Enjoy the bonding time with your baby.  He will slowly self wean.  I am guessing that you only nurse three or so times a day now?  Is there a feeding that he sometimes seems less interested in?  For my DS who is 17mos., it is breakfast.  Some days I can get by without nursing because he seems more interested in getting to regular breakfast with his big brother.  I liked the idea of the snuggley or stuffed animal for while you are nursing that he can have later for that comfort.  We did that with our first, a curious george, that he was inseperable with for almost two years.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM

At 15 months he should be sleeping through the night and you need your sleep mama! Time to be strong and say no. Go in every few minutes so he knows you are still there, for the first couple nights but don't bf, give him a stuffed animal and a paci. He will cry, that's okay. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)