Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Nursing my baby to sleep...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM
  • 6 Replies
My baby is almost 10 weeks old.  At bedtime, I nurse her until she falls asleep and then put her in her bed.  She is a great sleeper and usually sleeps 6-7 hrs.  I have recently read a few different articles about how you aren't supposed to do that.  But if I try to put her to bed awake she screams and screams.  What do you do to put your babies to bed?  Any advice on whether I should try to change this routine, and if so, how do I do it?
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jenjen81605
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 12:24 AM

I'm not sure if you're supposed to do it or not, but I always did.
I made the mistake of letting my son have a bottle (formula baby) right before bed to help him sleep- the reason it was a mistake for me was that he got so used to it it took me a very long time to brake the habbit.

Talk to your dr and ask what he/she thinks. I personally see no harm in it as long as you don't do it for too long. If you decide to keep feeding her to sleep, it's probably best to slowly wean her out of it (let her feed til she's almost asleep for a while, then till she's tiard, and so on)

Whatever choice you make, Good luck!

hailnbray
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM

they dont want u to because it becomes a routine, when shes older it will be very hard to break. my son is 9 months i stopped nursing but he still needs to fall asleep with a bottle. i dont knwo what to say. part of me wants to say its better to break while shes young so u should start to change it and the other part of me says oh shes still young, this is great bonding time. i guess it really depends on how u feel, do u want to be feeding ur baby to sleep when shes 1 or 2 or are u willing to fight like hell when shes a 1 to get her to sleep on her own, it does get harder as they get older to change a routine

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

https://www.autismclinicaltrial.com/index.aspx?bmscontentpg=autism

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2007/12/16/finnstrom.the.autistic.brain.cnn  

oddfamily
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 8:52 AM
You need to do what is right for you and your baby. My daughter is 8 months and I still nurse her to sleep or rock her.
taracv
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM
If it is comfortable for you to do what you have been doing, then continue with your routine.  I nursed my daughter until she was 10 months old. Then after she was 10 months old  she would drink a sippy cup of milk on the couch and then go to bed after she drank it all.  They say not to let them fall asleep with milk in their mouths because it can lead to a yeast like infection called thrush.  Make sure she is swallowing what she has in her mouth to prevent this and do what is comfy for you, and your baby.
PoisonGirl
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM
I really hate all those cookie cutter articles that give that type of advice.

It's a comfort thing for your baby, and at 10 weeks, they need that comfort.  They won't need it forever.  I would do whatever you need to do to get your daughter to sleep.   I stopped listening to that 'one-size fits all' mom advice that you see in magazines a while ago because it's crap. 

I fed my son (bottle fed) right before bed too for several months (i think for about 6 months) and then I stopped doing that and started feeding him before I got him ready for bed if he was hungry, and then got him changed etc.  He falls asleep fine now....I put him into his bed still awake and he falls asleep beautifully on his own.  He's slept through the night since 5 weeks and sleeps from 10 pm - 9 or 10 am.
ARmom
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM
At 10 weeks you are fine.
My kids would do that off and on until about 4 mos old - and then I put them to sleep awake more.

Amy (ARmom)
Owner: Group Owner's Club   Mom's Fighting Cervical Cancer  Computer Savvy
Admin: Mom's Coffee Break Cafe!!  Classmates Connections / Procrastinators Procrastinating

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)