Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this fair - work related

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM
  • 17 Replies
I'll try to make this short. I am a full time working mom, my child is home with a nanny paid by hour.
I had complicated pregnancy and left work. They called me to go back to the same job/position/team when my child was 8 months old. They knew that I had the baby (they made a baby's shower for me before I left and I kept I touch with some people). The whole tam wanted me back.
Fast forward to today, 1 year after I came back. The global team lead for my team is being promoted. I have always been his back up. Everyone knows that I am doing a great job, I was informally asked if I wanted the global lead position. But this job takes working extra hours in other time zones. Meetings at 6-7 am and 10-11 pm. once or twice per week on top of the regular hours (because this is a global position). I can not do this, it will cost too much for a nanny and I need to spend time with my child, I owe him at least 4 hours quality time per day.
So they hired a new person. I will support this person as best as I can, but somehow I feel sad for missing the opportunity. I guess it's fair, as I was offered the job and it's my problem that I can not cover the requirements.
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM

I think you know it's fair....  

It's a bummer... but you did what is best for you and your family.... and perhaps, down the road, the opportunity will come up again and you'll be in a different position to accept it. 

-DancingQueen-
by Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 5:24 AM
1 mom liked this
It is fair. YOU turned down the position. And yes, unfortunately that's a decision people have to make when it comes to juggling career and family.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, you made the best decision for you and your family. It's perfectly fair--your corporation had to fill the position that you turned down. Your child is only little for so long. There will be other opportunities later on. Be at peace with your decision.
illneverbeold
by Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Of course it's fair.

lancet98
by Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

It is fair, and even though you have regrets, it really sounds like this is what you want.  It's natural to have mixed feelings about it.

S.M.ile
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 6:25 PM
I Do! I wish I didn't have to stop my career growth because I am a mother.
But I do not regret my decision.

Quoting lancet98:

It is fair, and even though you have regrets, it really sounds like this is what you want.  It's natural to have mixed feelings about it.

UpSheRises
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 6:26 PM
I’d you can’t meet the requirements you can’t have the job.

It’s the sacrifice of motherhood.
almburr
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 6:27 PM
It's fair.
lancet98
by Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM

You're not stopping any career.  You're just deferring it for another need for a little while.  Most women go back to their careers when their children are old enough.  

You can use the peanut butter and jelly sandwich rule...when they're old enough to make a pb and J.  Or pick a different rule.

Or...well, the chicken kiev rule, LOL.  My friend was a professional chef and said she was going back to work when her daughter could make chicken kiev, LOL.

Kid was on the chicken keiv and SIX, lol.  That's what you get when you're a chef, LOL.

Quoting S.M.ile: I Do! I wish I didn't have to stop my career growth because I am a mother. But I do not regret my decision.
Quoting lancet98:

JTE11
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM
It's fair, they offered the job to you. It was your choice to take it or not. When you have a baby they need you first, career should wait.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)