Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Benadryl?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 2 month old has a bad cold, and her doctor told me to give her benadryl? Has anybody gave their 2 month old benadryl before? Im scared, but her doctor told me to give it to her, do you think i should? Help!

by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
dae43123
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 12:32 PM
If the doctor said give her bendendrayl and you want to give her just a little at first then if that doesnt help give a little more. i would if she needs it.  but at the sametime you do not want to give it to her durning the day i would do it just a night. You do what you feel like is right. I see it this way,  when we were babies our mothers did not have all the stuff we have now.and we all turned out just fine.  Good luck with this.
rhanewman
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM
Your dr told you to give her benadryl?!? Sounds like you need a new dr. It has been proven that cold medicines do not work in children under 2 years old so there is no point in giving them anything. I fight my daughter's colds this way: a humidifier, using a nasal syring every couple of minutes (or more if constantly running), baby vicks rub (make sure you use the kind for babies, the adult strength is too much and only rub on chest, never under nose or somewhere that it can be licked off (babies touch it with their hands then put hands in mouth-poisonous), having lots of tissues on hand, holding your baby upright (even through the first couple of nights while congestion is bad) so they can breath easier, if they have a fever ask dr for appropriate dose of tylonal based on weight, and lots of cuddles and love. Don't give aspirin until they are an adult b/c it can cause Reye's Syndrome and don't give young infants ibuprofen b/c it can cause severe allergies. Oh, and since it is flu season, try to leave your little one at home as much as possible, especially since a 2 month old's immune system is still immature. And tell relatives and friends that if they are sick, not to come visit until they are better. I still do this w/ my 2 yr. old. :)
chuca85
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:26 PM
thats odd my 3 month was sick and my docotor would let me give her anything she there is nothing you can give infants and a lot of thingscan harm babies i'd reseach it first because a lot of medicines are getting recalled
Courtneymack
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:29 PM
MY DR HAD ME GIVING MACKYNZIE BENADRYL FROM THE TIME SHE WAS LIKE 2 WEEKS OLD ... SHE TOLD ME TO GIVE HER 1/2 TEASPOON AND I FELT LIKE THAT WAS TOOOO MUCH BUT I DID GIVE HER A LITTLE UNDER 1/4 TEASPOON... IT HELPED IMMENSLY !!!!!!!! STILL TO THIS DAY IF SHE GETS A SNOTTY NOSE SHE GETS A LITTLE BENADRYL AND THE NOSE IS GONE .... I SWEAR BY IT... BUT OTHERS THINK THAT IT MAY BE TOO HARSH DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND SEE WHAT YOU GET...
taracv
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:06 PM
If you dont feel comfortable with the advice from your childs Dr.  then I would ask for a second oppinion.  Talk to someone else at the clinic or even a pharmacist.  If you arent comfortable with what they said to do, then dont do it!  Moms usually come with something called "a mothers intuition".  Do what feels best for you.  Good Luck and I hope your baby feels better soon!
PoisonGirl
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM
With babies and toddlers, they recommend not to give any OTC cold meds. Parents tend to give too much, and there isn't any real proof that it helps anyway. Your best bet is to put a humidifier in the room, rub their chest w/ vicks baby rub, and put the vicks on their feet with socks before bed. it sounds weird, but it works!!!  also give tylenol.  no aspirin or ibuprofen---aspirin can cause some weird reaction, and they don't recommend ibuprofen until they're at least 6 months of age.  tylenol is the only safe thing for babies that young. 

i've never heard of a doc recommending benadryl.  
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)