Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could it be anxiety?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM
  • 23 Replies
My ds is 6 and lately it seems like something is bothering him however he won’t tell me anything. This morning I kept asking him to get ready for school when he wasn’t listening I raised my voice a little. All of a sudden he started crying which is not normal for him. Lately we could be having a good day and than he will get upset and tell me that everyone hates him, that he hates his name, and that he hates his skin color.

His teacher said he’s been doing great at school and very happy and playful, so why does he only do this at home? I don’t yell that often and I try to take him to do fun things but as a single working mom that’s not always possible. I thought about taking him to talk to someone but I don’t want him on meds. I personally have anxiety and don’t take meds for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
by on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicagogem
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 4:18 PM

I'm sorry he is struggling; it's so hard on a mama's heart. But I think you're wise in noticing the changes in his mood and behaviors and for seeking help. Have you thought about speaking with the school counselor or counselor outside of school by yourself first? Maybe that would give you an opportunity to talk through what you're seeing and maybe get some ideas of what may be going on and also the ability to set the ground rules of trying to work through it first before just prescribing meds. I hope things get better for him and you soon.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 7:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Go with your gut. Talk to the Teacher and tell her what he's coming home and saying. Maybe she's not paying attention and generalizing what she says to everyone. 

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 7:50 PM
If they go out on the playground, ask the playground or lunchroom monitor. Does he watch any TV?
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 7:57 PM

Ask what is bothering him.  Have a heart to heart talk with him to find out what is going on that is making him unhappy.  Remind him to trust you to help him.  I don't think it's anxiety. 

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM
THIS.

Time for a conference with that teacher.

I don't know but, my personal mom radar wonders if he is getting bullied or teased??

Another thing - does he take any other medications - for mundane stuff ?

My son took zyrtec briefly and it changed his behavior drastically - sounds innocent but, we flat out refuse the drug now. We would put him on and off it and every time he took it he was a totally different kid.

Quoting LancesMom:

Go with your gut. Talk to the Teacher and tell her what he's coming home and saying. Maybe she's not paying attention and generalizing what she says to everyone. 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Child psychologists do not prescribe meds for young children, especially for anxiety.  My son is diagnosed with mild anxiety and has gone to therapy with no meds.

Asunshine88
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:42 PM
He watches some tv but not much. I found out today that he’s been having issues with Kids on the playground. Apparently they have been pushing him around.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If they go out on the playground, ask the playground or lunchroom monitor. Does he watch any TV?
Asunshine88
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:46 PM
I emailed his teacher and friendship group leader today. He had told the leader that there were kids shoving him on the playground. She told me that while they talked she tried to tell him the difference between “peer conflict” and bullying and that some kids don’t know how to keep their hands to themselves so he needs to tell the kids that they are hurting his feelings.

I may be wrong but I think if a kid is getting shoved around it’s bullying not peer conflict

Quoting Iceandsnowflake: THIS.

Time for a conference with that teacher.

I don't know but, my personal mom radar wonders if he is getting bullied or teased??

Another thing - does he take any other medications - for mundane stuff ?

My son took zyrtec briefly and it changed his behavior drastically - sounds innocent but, we flat out refuse the drug now. We would put him on and off it and every time he took it he was a totally different kid.

Quoting LancesMom:

Asunshine88
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:48 PM
It’s so hard to get him to talk, he used to tell me everything but since he started school he doesn’t say much. And part of the reason I think it’s anxiety is because he never feels like he’s doing good enough. Anyone can compliment him and tell him how well he’s doing and he responds with “it’s not good enough”

Quoting mamavalor:

Ask what is bothering him.  Have a heart to heart talk with him to find out what is going on that is making him unhappy.  Remind him to trust you to help him.  I don't think it's anxiety. 

Asunshine88
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM
Thank you, it’s just so tough. I’m a big believer in essential oils so I was thinking of maybe trying that to help calm him first. I think he’s getting bullied and I’m trying to get to the bottom of it. He came home today asking to switch schools. I don’t think any kid should feel like they want to switch schools especially a first grader.

Quoting chicagogem:

I'm sorry he is struggling; it's so hard on a mama's heart. But I think you're wise in noticing the changes in his mood and behaviors and for seeking help. Have you thought about speaking with the school counselor or counselor outside of school by yourself first? Maybe that would give you an opportunity to talk through what you're seeing and maybe get some ideas of what may be going on and also the ability to set the ground rules of trying to work through it first before just prescribing meds. I hope things get better for him and you soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)