Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons teacher asked me to medicate him and i need advice

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM
  • 37 Replies

My son is 10.  He is doing well academically but has issues behaviorally at school. His teach strongly suggested that we medicate him for adhd.

About him:

He is ahead or on par in all subjects

He is fidgety 

He can be awkward and have trouble making friends

He annoys or pesters others which is obviously distracting in school

He is moody and sensitive 

He can be a handful for sure

He is super passionate and will talk your ear off about things he finds interesting

He will read quietly for hours

He is goofy and funny and it can be tough to get him to calm himself down

I told the teacher that we had discussed medication in the past with his doctor but the doctor said as long as he is doing well in school that he doesnt need to be medicated.  As his mom he can be tough to handle at times but i dont feel the need to medicate him to make him behave.  I am scared that if i choose not to medicate my child that the teacher (who already contacts me about any small incident, like that he was cutting up paper at his desk or making an annoying noise) will start to make a big deal of small things and will start sending him to the principal so that she does not have to deal with him.  She gave me the impression that she would not be very tolerant if we decided not to medicate. 

How should i proceed?

by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM
5 moms liked this
I’d report the teacher to the school. They can’t legally tell a parent that. At least that’s what I’ve been told from all my teacher friends.
Mrs_Sweet
by Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
It would depend on the teacher. If this is an experienced teacher who is concerned about her kids, I would consider it. If it seems like she is just pushing for medication to make her life easier, I would ignore it.
anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I think "doing well in school" is a subjective statement. Grade wise, you indicated he's doing well. But you also said that in the classroom he can be disruptive and distractive. Those are two components in "doing well in school."

I don't have a child with ADHD but I have children that have been in classes with one or more children who were diagnosed. My children have said how funny and entertaining they can be, but also will tell me "Johnny was in a mood today!" which means class was chaos. We actually had to move our son into a different class because there was a very unruly child and it was horribly distracting (and sometimes destructive!). What I'm try to say with this is, of course, you need to think of your child! But also think about the other students too. Good luck! That's not an easy thing.
Supportdmoms
by Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it advisable to medicate a 10 yr old ?? Dr knows best about medicating it not , not the teacher who. Has no background in his medical situation if there is any. She is just sounding like the one who wants to avoid kid in the class. You can also look for behavioral aid who can help is guess ... Things will not be easy for sure ... Take care
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM
4 moms liked this
Maybe he needs to be in advanced classes.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM
4 moms liked this
First of all, it is illegal for her to suggest that he be medicated. Secondly, lots of things other than ADD/ADHD can cause these symptoms, including bipolar and being on the Autism Spectrum, Asperger's, for instance.

I would get a referral from your pediatrician for a pediatric psychologist or psychiatrist to have him evaluated. He may be far better helped with counseling and behavioral therapy than he would be with medication. A proper diagnosis is of utmost importance because, although the symptoms may be similar, the conditions and treatments are not. I would also meet with the principal and school counselor before and after the evaluation. But the teacher is out of line.
Ms_Smock
by on Nov. 18, 2017 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I would speak to the principal regarding the teachers behavior
Momof3andhe
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM

BUMP!

Momof3andhe
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Thank you for all the responses! It has been so helpful to hear perspectives other than my own since i am obviously biased

foodcooppres
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Mushermaggie is right on target.  Medication, unless it corrects an actual physical problem, is an artificial solution with potential side effects.  In addition to an expert diagnosis, check into nutritional issues as well, such as food allergies.  Go to mercola.com and put your topic in the search bar, such as children's behavior problems or ADHD or whatever diagnosis has been made by an expert.  But it sounds to me as if one big problem is boredom.  Standard classrooms just are not cut out for gifted children.  If he must stay where he is, maybe he can be given extra projects that interest him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)