Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3.5 yr old STILL pooping at night?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello everyone!

I was wondering...Should I be concerned that my 3.5 year old is still pooping in his sleep in the middle of the night?

He's been daytime potty trained for over a year now, but is still wearing pull ups to bed, because he's not yet dry at night. I'm much less concerned about this, because I realize he's still young for that...but I do worry that he's both peeing AND pooping more or less every night. We habitually have him try and go potty just before bed each night, but this is still something that happens regardless. We've also tried to change his diet, and when we eat in the evening--but for the most part, nothing has changed.

Two different pediatricians have told me that this isn't something to be concerned about at this point. But I'm at a loss. After some horrendous nights this past month, DH and I have been floating the idea of moving DS from a pull-up, back to a regular overnight diaper...because we're having to deal with both the poop issue AND big nighttime pees, but I've been nervous to.

I'm completely at a loss here. 

by on Nov. 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JTE11
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I think I'd just relax for about 6 months to a year and see if it improves. I wouldn't worry about it much right now if he is otherwise healthy. My dd didn't totally train until she was just about 4. But the difference between 3.5 and 4 was like night and day, lots of maturity came and with that came awareness of nighttime elimination sensations. If he's still not doing it by 4 or 4.5, maybe look into it some more, but even then it can just be normal. One more thing I should mention, and I'm not saying this is what is going on, but just to make you aware, sometimes kids who wet at night have sleep apnea. Their body never shuts down deeply enough into sleep for the urine production to decrease as it should over night because they are always struggling for breath. I don't know if your ds snores or has any kind of night breathing or sleep problems, but keep that tucked away in your brain for the future. The fact that it's pee AND poop would indicate to me that it's probably just a body maturity thing and to just give him more time. I only said what I said about sleep issues/breathing issues so if you are still doing this and he is 5 or 6 you'll have some direction to go to rule that out.
JTE11
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 9:01 PM
Wanted to add that if you're concerned now it's always ok to talk it over with his doc and see if there is anything else you should do right now. If they're all saying he is healthy and to wait then try to relax. :)
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't really be worried yet. Doctor says it's fine right now. Of course, a year from now, it might be time to try something else.

If you think going back to the night-time diapers will be easier on everyone, go for it.

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
If your day time is going good on the potty front I would not freak out yet.

I swore my oldest would wear a diaper to his High school prom. It took foreverrrrr to pee train him. Almost 4. Then the poop was the last thing because pooping scared him. He was constipated and it took awhile to iron that out.

He was 5 by the time we got him to poop in the potty consistently without accidents.

And NOW a few months shy of 6 sleeps in his underwear.

You are doing a great job. Potty training is the pits.

I would let your child sleep in a pull up for now. Put the training potty by his or her bed. Have extra sheets ready.

Whatever you gotta do. But I would not be concerned.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Go back to diapers.
lara1996
by New Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, i think you shouldn't be to bothered about it yet. Give it about 6 to 12 months from now. Am sure, everything would turn out ok.

midjet117
by Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's just something you have to be patient with. My middle child peed the bed until she was about 6. She did eventually grow out of it. 

mem82
by Member on Nov. 26, 2017 at 5:13 PM

I would check and see if he tends to poop at a certain time. Is it an hour after he goes to bed or more like 4 am. If it is reasonable, see if you can sort of sleepy walk him to the bathroom about the time he poops. None of my kids pooped at night after infancy so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)