Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids room organization

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am a clean and neat person.

Until....you look at my sons' shared room and then it's like toys r us threw up rejects in the floor.

Every month I swear I'm going to get it under control and every month I do...and it looks like crap within 3 days to a week tops.

Finally - I realized they have WAY too much stuff- some even duplicates (who needs 2 Mickey mouse vans???) Lol.

So I'm purging.

What are your guidelines for purging? If they haven't played with it in several months it goes? Do you make the kid decide?

I'm ruthless with my own stuff but I'm over my head here. Moms help me out!
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM
It was time to donate or trash a toy when I noticed my son no longer showed interest in playing with it.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM
From the get go my kids had access to only so much. I put up things and brought them out months later. Christmas toys half went up in the closet right away.
If I were you at this time of year I would purge half and donate or throw away some to make room for new. New Christmas toys get guns to keep them neat and only let one bin out at a time.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM

I would box up stuff they haven't played with in a long, long time to donate.  If an item is iffy, put it in a box and store it in a closet or attic for a bit to see if they ask about them.  Toss broken toys and toys with missing pieces.  Get a large Rubbermaid tote box with lid to toss the remaining toys in.  Make it big enough to hold everything, with room to spare.  Then it will be an easy task for them to clean up by throwing all the toys in the toy box.  For toys with little pieces, like lego, get a separate under the bed box just for the lego.  Then when they want to play with the lego they can pull the box out and keep the pieces in the box while they're building something.  When they finish, the lego construction can go in the box with the lego and slid back under the bed out of site.

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 5:15 PM
Thank you. My oldest is Huge into legos right now and is getting a Ton of them for Xmas.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I would box up stuff they haven't played with in a long, long time to donate.  If an item is iffy, put it in a box and store it in a closet or attic for a bit to see if they ask about them.  Toss broken toys and toys with missing pieces.  Get a large Rubbermaid tote box with lid to toss the remaining toys in.  Make it big enough to hold everything, with room to spare.  Then it will be an easy task for them to clean up by throwing all the toys in the toy box.  For toys with little pieces, like lego, get a separate under the bed box just for the lego.  Then when they want to play with the lego they can pull the box out and keep the pieces in the box while they're building something.  When they finish, the lego construction can go in the box with the lego and slid back under the bed out of site.

Chelsey191
by Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM
Anything that doeasnt get touched and anything under $5. There are very few things I’ve held onto and each fits in its designated bin.
Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 5:20 PM
I like the 5 dollar rule! Thanks!

Quoting Chelsey191: Anything that doeasnt get touched and anything under $5. There are very few things I’ve held onto and each fits in its designated bin.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM

My daughter has a lot of lego and it all stores nicely in two under the bed containers.  You can take some smaller plastic containers for the specialty tiny pieces so they don't get lost in the bigger pieces.  But I suspect if your boys are like my daughter, all the lego regardless of size will all go in one container, lol.

Quoting Iceandsnowflake: Thank you. My oldest is Huge into legos right now and is getting a Ton of them for Xmas.
Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Rlmori2010
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 3:51 PM
I take anything broken, pieces missing and if they haven’t played with it in 6 months it gets tossed.

Quoting Iceandsnowflake: I am a clean and neat person.

Until....you look at my sons' shared room and then it's like toys r us threw up rejects in the floor.

Every month I swear I'm going to get it under control and every month I do...and it looks like crap within 3 days to a week tops.

Finally - I realized they have WAY too much stuff- some even duplicates (who needs 2 Mickey mouse vans???) Lol.

So I'm purging.

What are your guidelines for purging? If they haven't played with it in several months it goes? Do you make the kid decide?

I'm ruthless with my own stuff but I'm over my head here. Moms help me out!
midjet117
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 8:51 PM
Depends, how old are your boys? I got to a point, if it doesn't fit in the toy box then it needs to be bagged and donated to the church or just plain old thrown away
Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 9:11 PM
Almost 6 and just turned 3. They are just barely 3 years apart.

Quoting midjet117: Depends, how old are your boys? I got to a point, if it doesn't fit in the toy box then it needs to be bagged and donated to the church or just plain old thrown away
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)