Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep advice

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2017 at 7:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 16 month old son won't go to sleep or fall back asleep unless I'm next to him . He falls asleep with me and then I move him to his crib and then in the middle of the night he always wakes up to come into mommy and daddys's bed . And our bed is high and we had an accident . Any advice? .
by on Dec. 10, 2017 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 1:47 AM
Be strict and say you have to stay in your bed. Stop falling asleep with him or he will be 6 or older and you will be doing it still.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM
Try a kindergarten cot next to your bed and just let him sleep there. We didn't sleep train ours. We co-slept until tbey were ready to go to their own rooms. Sleep is a developmental milestone and it's best not to force it.
wingmom
by on Dec. 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

When my Dh was 16 months he would fall asleep in my arms in the living room drinking his bottle then I would put him right in his crib. He woke up a couple times a night til he was 18 months, but I was unable to take him to our bed because DH snores and sleeps too heavy and would have rolled over and suffocated him for sure. So I had no choice, he had to sleep in his crib. Just keep at it with the crib, keep repeating it to him that he must stay in his crib that that is where he sleeps, that everyone has their own beds in the house. When DS finally outgrew bottles, I would put him in his crib and sit on a chair next to him and hum a lulluby til he fell asleep, which took about 10 minutes. Now we still read before bed and he is 9.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It may be time to start making him sleep alone. Try white noise or maybe lullabies. But keep taking him back to his bed until he learns. It will be hard but you will be thankful later.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 1:16 PM
That is not true at all. All of my kids sleep with me from birth and all but my youngest sleep by themselves. My oldest transitioned to his crib at 6 months, my second at 9 months, my third around 2, and my youngest sleeps half the night in his bed. My oldest two weren't breastfed or they would have been in my bed longer.

Quoting atlmom2: Be strict and say you have to stay in your bed. Stop falling asleep with him or he will be 6 or older and you will be doing it still.
veggiemom474
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM

I used to keep my mattress on the floor.

Camdensmom26
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Thank you all for your advice! .
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM

This book single handedly changed my early-motherhood life. I cannot recommend it enough. I used it for 2 completely different sleep issues for 2 different kids. It is practical and he gives really quick-to-apply approaches. Truly, for us changes happened within 4 days. And it isn't a strictly cry-it-out approach, which I also appreciated.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

At that age, I'd just walk them back to their room, unless you don't wake when he comes in. I'd do a bedtime routine, lay my kid down, say good night, maybe read a story, then walk out. If they get up, then put them back in. I never co slept though. Mine were in a bassinet or crib in the room til they slept through the night (2 or 3 months old) then in a crib in their own room after that. Then in a crib til they started climbing out of it (15 or 16 months old) and then a toddler bed. So if they got up after bed time, I'd walk them right back and put them in bed. Sometimes that meant they would throw a fit and cry, but more often than not they'd tire themselves out and stay. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)