Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Migraine meds info/experience

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 8:11 PM
  • 30 Replies
I have migraine. I'm going to talk to my Dr about rxing me an abortive. I think she might insist on a preventative as well. (Bc I have more than 4 a month)

I would like to know what experience others have had with migraine and with migraine meds.

P.S. I have controlled all of my triggers that I have control of.
by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pukalani79
by Ivy on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:39 AM
Migraines are miserable. I get them a couple times a month but my daughter is chronic. She's on Topamax and Amitriptyline as preventatives although they work better in conjunction with anxiety meds. She also takes mindfulness yoga and is going to do cognitive behavior therapy. For abortive she takes Maxalt and Fioricet. If you do Maxalt be careful of the discoverable one (ODT). It has aspartame.Topamax has some awful side effects, but for DD once we got to a good dose, the side effects, for the most part, aren't too bad.
HunnyBabie
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 1:42 AM
Ty for the info! Tysm for sharing.
Im happy for you that you only get a couple a month. I'm sorry you get any at all! I'm really sorry you have to watch your dd go through this!!! (Hugs) for you both! My DS gets them but he knows his pre attack symptoms and there are a few things that help him avoid the actual attack almost all the time.
Ill have to look into the yoga idea. That seems like something I mighty be able to use.

I'm a psychology student. The therapy can be very helpful, especially since anxiety meds help. Therapy might be effective enough for her to be able to discontinue use of the anxiety meds.

Tysm, again! :)

Quoting Pukalani79: Migraines are miserable. I get them a couple times a month but my daughter is chronic. She's on Topamax and Amitriptyline as preventatives although they work better in conjunction with anxiety meds. She also takes mindfulness yoga and is going to do cognitive behavior therapy. For abortive she takes Maxalt and Fioricet. If you do Maxalt be careful of the discoverable one (ODT). It has aspartame.Topamax has some awful side effects, but for DD once we got to a good dose, the side effects, for the most part, aren't too bad.
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 5:43 PM

Mine come and go. Sometimes I go years without one. Sometimes, I have one for weeks. I take Verapamil (sp?) at night and Imitrax as for the last couple of years. I have tried and been on all sorts of migraine meds like Topmax, Maxalt, Sumatriptan, and Treximet. I even tried Botox about a year or so ago? Lol.. I did not like the Botox at all! Sometimes those don't even take away the pain. Every once in a while, I will take an anxiety pill or benedryl to help me relax if all else fails. 

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:03 PM
One more thing--do you have a tongue tie? Tongue ties, particularly the posterior, hard-to-detect kind, can cause migraines.
coala
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:28 PM

I have found that most meds don't really work for me.  I have some that are hormonal and others that are sinus related due to allergies.  I can only control so much because I can't take allergy meds due to allergies that cause the migraines that are in the medications....go figure. 

I control mine with ultracet and iburpofen or aleve and a benadryl as needed.

HunnyBabie
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the benadryl tip!
TFS

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

Mine come and go. Sometimes I go years without one. Sometimes, I have one for weeks. I take Verapamil (sp?) at night and Imitrax as for the last couple of years. I have tried and been on all sorts of migraine meds like Topmax, Maxalt, Sumatriptan, and Treximet. I even tried Botox about a year or so ago? Lol.. I did not like the Botox at all! Sometimes those don't even take away the pain. Every once in a while, I will take an anxiety pill or benedryl to help me relax if all else fails. 

HunnyBabie
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:59 PM
Thank you.
Do you take the ibuprofen and Aleve at the same time?
One thing that used to help my migraines was to alternate taking ibuprofen and Tylenol, but I can't do that for 3 days at a time twice a week.
Tysm

Quoting coala:

I have found that most meds don't really work for me.  I have some that are hormonal and others that are sinus related due to allergies.  I can only control so much because I can't take allergy meds due to allergies that cause the migraines that are in the medications....go figure. 

coala
by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 10:15 AM

You can't take ibuprofen and aleve at the same time because they are both NSAID's.  The ultracet has tylenol in it, so I do get the tylenol with the tramadol.  This is the only set of meds that we have been able to narrow down to help keep the pain under control.

Quoting HunnyBabie: Thank you. Do you take the ibuprofen and Aleve at the same time? One thing that used to help my migraines was to alternate taking ibuprofen and Tylenol, but I can't do that for 3 days at a time twice a week. Tysm
Quoting coala:

msjoecool
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM
I take Maxalt for migraine pain. I took Topamax and Cymbalta as a preventative. My migraine frequency and intensity lightened. I had been suffering three to four days each week. But then the generic topiramate came out and insurance wouldn’t cover Topamax. The generic didn’t work for me. Sigh. What helped the most for me was Botox. Good luck.
karene999
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 10:34 AM

I take pamelor as a preventative, and Imatrex for the migranes themselves. Once they got the dossages right I have dropped from 2 or 3 a week to less than only 1 or 2 every 90 days

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)