Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not working and filing taxes

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM
  • 6 Replies
If neither person works do they even file anything? I’m guessing not.
I ask cuz my dd15 father hasn’t ever worked and the last 6 years I got his wife’s tax return but now that she’s had baby # 10 she’s decided to beastay at home mom. I think she did it so I can’t get their tax return because 2 years ago it was released way later than it should have been and I think it’s because she tried claiming injured spouse.
So I’m really not expecting a tax intercept this year but you’d think they have to receive something to survive
He does work for cash so it’s hard to prove he has income and I don’t want to pursue it simply because that means as much of a jerk I think he is, it’s his other kids that will suffer if I get his license taken away or get him thrown in jail

by on Feb. 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM
If someone hasn't earned any income for a year they don't have to file.
sal1976
by Member on Feb. 24, 2018 at 12:02 PM
I kinda figured that I was just curious if anyone had experience with it. Ok I’ll be honestly I was being hopeful for even a little tax intercept. Oh well

Quoting virginiamama71: If someone hasn't earned any income for a year they don't have to file.
RutterMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 12:16 AM

No, if you aren't working - ie, not paying in - you don't have anything to claim or request a refund for.

sal1976
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:25 AM
So much for hopeful. Which begs the question how does one even live like that like you’d think that the state would make one of them work. I know one of their kids is on the spectrum and have been trying to get disability does that count as income?

Quoting RutterMama:

No, if you aren't working - ie, not paying in - you don't have anything to claim or request a refund for.

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 7:02 AM
If the child is receiving SSI benefits they don't have to file taxes on this.
Only on income earned through working.
They could make it on SSI, money earned through odd jobs, public benefits.

Quoting sal1976: So much for hopeful. Which begs the question how does one even live like that like you’d think that the state would make one of them work. I know one of their kids is on the spectrum and have been trying to get disability does that count as income?

Quoting RutterMama:

sal1976
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM
Well he does work for cash under the table just wish I could prove it

Quoting virginiamama71: If the child is receiving SSI benefits they don't have to file taxes on this.
Only on income earned through working.
They could make it on SSI, money earned through odd jobs, public benefits.

Quoting sal1976: So much for hopeful. Which begs the question how does one even live like that like you’d think that the state would make one of them work. I know one of their kids is on the spectrum and have been trying to get disability does that count as income?

Quoting RutterMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)