Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh. Omg.

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM
  • 15 Replies
...i really just need to get this off my chest because it is bugging the daylights out of me!

It's my SO's birthday today and I just got on Facebook and saw that he made a post almost an hour ago that was talking about his mom and how he really just thinks of his mom on his birthday cuz otherwise he wouldn't be here, etc... a few people commented on it saying happy birthday and then I saw his mom commented saying "you're not supposed to make your mother cry on your birthday! I love you!" He replied back "love you!"

My problem is that whole entire exchange between them. Like seriously. I get it. Y'all love each other. No need to put it on Facebook or anywhere else. His birthday is not about her. I swear these two are just attached at the freaking hip!!!! πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’

Is this seriously a normal interaction between mother and son???!!! It is just way too much in my opinion. And frankly, quite annoying.
by on Mar. 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaarina
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2018 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it’s quite normal. I have two grown sons, and a grown daughter and it sounds similar to stuff we have all posted to each other.
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing wrong with this.
RobJar
by Member on Mar. 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM
6 moms liked this
It’s normal; your reaction is not.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:25 AM
2 moms liked this

You're jealous of your MIL?

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's very sweet. My boys wouldn't do it, not normal in my family! But I sure would like it now and then.

MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it is normal. Get over it.
leah829
by Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Quoting amybrg86: ...i really just need to get this off my chest because it is bugging the daylights out of me! It's my SO's birthday today and I just got on Facebook and saw that he made a post almost an hour ago that was talking about his mom and how he really just thinks of his mom on his birthday cuz otherwise he wouldn't be here, etc... a few people commented on it saying happy birthday and then I saw his mom commented saying "you're not supposed to make your mother cry on your birthday! I love you!" He replied back "love you!" My problem is that whole entire exchange between them. Like seriously. I get it. Y'all love each other. No need to put it on Facebook or anywhere else. His birthday is not about her. I swear these two are just attached at the freaking hip!!!! πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’ Is this seriously a normal interaction between mother and son???!!! It is just way too much in my opinion. And frankly, quite annoying.

Its hard to answer this.  Some really fine men dote on their mothers.  On the other hand, I can easily see this setting the stage for a bad relationship with a fiance. Would you marry a guy who thought more of his mother than you?  Its probably not a good thing to do.  

All of us face the issue as we age of transferring our love and affection from a parent or guardian to a spouse.  For most of us, the transition is natural and normal. I am prepared for my own children to do that when the time comes.

This is an individual thing. I think you might accomplish a great deal by sitting down and having a talk with your SO.  Get an idea where he is in terms of maturity and being able to move on to the next step in life.  If you aren't on the same page, it may be time to look for another relationship with someone more mature.

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

You sound jealous. I am incredibly close to my son and I am sure I will be that way too.

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys would NEVER do this. They are grown and I know they love me, but no way would anything like this be on social media. If it were, I would wonder if I was going to die soon and not know about it! I find it odd, honestly, at least in our family
MikeysMom22
by Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Were you there when he was born??? NO you were not!!

He actually knew his mother before she knew she was pregnant with him. He was inside of her growning before she even thought hey I might be pregnant.

That is sweet that he thinks of his mother .. Without her, he would not have a birthday. He is happy she gave him life. You are the one that is not thinking correctly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)