Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

meeting with the principal

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

A few days ago there was an incident with my son and another student that ended up with a window being broken and we went in today to talk with the principal and to watch the video. The other kids parent is trying to say it is my sons fault and he alone should be punished for it, but we feel both kids are at fault. The principal is waiting on an estimate to fix the window and they may have the kids do something like clean the parking lots for a week or something to "pay" for the cost. If we have to pay half my son will be doing chores at home. 

What happened: My son and the kid are walking out of the class by each other and the kid is grabbing his back pack and pulling on it and my son is knocking his hand away and turns and pushes him once to get the kid off of him and then turns and walks away. 

After my son walks away the kid comes up and starts grabbing and pulling on his bag again and messing with him. My son finally grabs him and shoves him hard away from him and the kid hits the window. The windows are plexi glass so it broke some, but no broken glass and no one was hurt.  I agree that my son handled it bad with shoving the kid hard enough to damage the window, but the kid should have kept his hands to himself. If he would have stopped the first time my son pushed him away the window would not have been damaged. My son does admit that him and the kid are friends and they do both mess around sometimes and this time it got out of hand. We are fine with him having to split responsibility 50/50 and having to pay back the money for it or work it off and will be talking with him about other ways to handle situations like this in the future.

What do you think?

by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 6:24 PM
This is fair.
Fayanne
by Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 9:53 AM

it's probably saftey glass, not plexiglass, but the other kid is equally at fault. The school should have a "hands to yourself" policy. Clearly, if the other kid had kept his hands to himself, this wouldn't have happened. Period.

Ultimately, it becomes the principal's decision.

Good luck.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Quoting Fayanne:

it's probably saftey glass, not plexiglass, but the other kid is equally at fault. The school should have a "hands to yourself" policy. Clearly, if the other kid had kept his hands to himself, this wouldn't have happened. Period.

Ultimately, it becomes the principal's decision.

Good luck.

The principal agrees with the 50/50, we are waiting to find out what the punishment will be or the cost of fixing it.

catmomtoo
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM

My son has broken so much stuff through the years of school. Is the school going to make you pay? Or the boys work off the price by doing extra things at school?  If they make you pay (and half is fair they both were horsing around) I would have him work it off at home.  I have never had to pay for anything broken at school. Though I always thought I would.  He always has done extra stuff at school.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 10:12 PM

Quoting catmomtoo:

My son has broken so much stuff through the years of school. Is the school going to make you pay? Or the boys work off the price by doing extra things at school?  If they make you pay (and half is fair they both were horsing around) I would have him work it off at home.  I have never had to pay for anything broken at school. Though I always thought I would.  He always has done extra stuff at school.

The principal is talking about having them work it off by cleaning up the parking lot and school grounds for a week which is fine with us. If we do have to pay, my son iwould definitely be working it off at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)