Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

coughing baby

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
My 4 1/2 month old is coughing all of a sudden. No other cold symptoms, just the cough...what can I do for her? Cough syrup is out of the question due to recalls and she is a little young for it anyway. Help!
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsM213
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM
Turn the shower on HOT, close the bathroom door and sit in the bathroom with her for fifteen minutes several times a day.
ksinclair
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Is it a true cough?  When my little one was about that age, he would cough because it was something he discovered he could do.  It was just another sound.  It sounded like a true, regular cough, but there was nothing wrong with him.  He still does it every once in a while.  I would have the pedi check her out to be sure though.
Elizabethsma631
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Quoting ksinclair:

Is it a true cough?  When my little one was about that age, he would cough because it was something he discovered he could do.  It was just another sound.  It sounded like a true, regular cough, but there was nothing wrong with him.  He still does it every once in a while.  I would have the pedi check her out to be sure though.

Yes, she does that too, but this one is a real one! LOL She does the little fake cough for attention, but this one is real. She wakes up because of it.
newmommy2ethan
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 1:18 PM
My 6 month old started doing that a few months ago too. I was so scared until my pedi told me that he has asthma. Maybe you should ask yours abouth that. I got a breathing machine for him and after 2-4 treatments it usually clears up...Hope she feels better soon!!

Proud wife to Rob

&

Proud mommy to Ethan

angelarodriguez
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Quoting newmommy2ethan:

My 6 month old started doing that a few months ago too. I was so scared until my pedi told me that he has asthma. Maybe you should ask yours abouth that. I got a breathing machine for him and after 2-4 treatments it usually clears up...Hope she feels better soon!!

i agree with her, my baby had the cough & was wheezing too and it turned out she had bronchitis (which can lead to asthma). get the baby's dr to check it out.

www.cafemom.com/home/angelarodriguez

cutiepie1987
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM
get some vicks vapor rub mke sure its the baby one though and put some on her feet with some socks over it.i heard it works great.also the shower thing that works too and a cool mist vaporizer
Elizabethsma631
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM
ok, so a day later now, hse has the congestion too...it wasnt a fake cough and I guess she just has a cold with a nasty cough. I hate it when she is sick! humidifier and vicks are all I can do. Any other suggestions?
Jennie245
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 6:02 PM
Cotiepie already said what I was thanking, my grandbaby just had it and that was what they did for her the same things she said do and it worked. The doctor told my daughter she was to young for cough syrup. She would wake up to but the vicks really worked and the sitting in the bathroom helped to or use a humdifier they are good for them to.
ksinclair
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Poor baby.  Try rolling up a bath towel or two and put it under the head of her matress to kind of keep her head elevated to help her drain and breath a little better.  The Vicks on the bottom of the feet with socks on really works for a cough, but I think I would make sure with the pedi first if it is okay to do that, I don't think it would probably hurt her, but as young as she is, I personally would rather ask first.  I sure hope she's feeling better soon!

Jenia312
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 1:33 PM
My oldest one used to cough so much as an infant. I gave her Honey. Sometimes I would squeeze some lemon juice mixing with honey. It helped her with her bad coughs. Honey can do wonders. It actually helps calm the throat from drying out. It's extremely soothing. I've used that with all of my kids and still use it to this day. It's a home remedy. Hope the baby feels better.

NOT THE WHOLE THICK HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!  I lightened it with MILK and MIXED!  OR I HEAT UP MILK AND ADD SOME HONEY OR SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's a stuffy nose, staying under the steam is great!

Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)