Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ear infections NEED HELP>>>

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM
  • 12 Replies
Mason has a middle ear infection and a tooth that just came in ... is there anything i can do to take the pain off of him? he is on ibp and amoxixilin but he is still in pain what are some things i can do here at home mommy son type of things?
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKLMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM
awww..poor thing. my son went through a bunch of ear infections when he was little. if your son is already taking motrin or tylenol, there really isnt anything else you can do. just try to distract him...with songs, or books, or maybe even like a baby enstein movie. comfort him as much as possible with rocking, or just holding him. sometimes just being in mommys arms is all the comfort they need! so, just keep taking care of your little guy, and he should be feeling better in a few days. maybe also try like baby orajel for the tooth!
gorillamom
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:17 PM
i let mine chew on frozen rags. it made thier mouths numb. fo rhte ear hurting have you tried maybe some ear drops?
MomAgainAt42
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Your pediatrician can give a RX for ear drops that help numb the pain. Also sometimes a hot water bottle against the ear (you can put it inside a pillow case and have baby lay on it). The warmth draws the blood flow to the ear bringing more medicine, oxygen and pain relief. Hope this helps.

...My oldest is a Soldier serving in Iraq

Gensdazz
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:55 PM
When i was younger  and had ear infections  my doctor suggested using a Home Remedy  which was  Vegetable Oil.   cause it will Bubble and Fizz  if there is an infection.

I have no clue how old i was either lol.

Alicia1977
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM

For the ear pain there are over the counter drops that I have seen. Also you could try a decongestant (following guidlines on dosage of course). Also make sure you don't lay him flat, that can make the pain worse.
My 5 year old has an ear infection also, it is so hard to see them in pain.

asmith62877
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Warm garlic oil dropped in the ear is not only helpful for pain, but garlic has natural antibiotic properties as well.  You can cut the end of a clove and squeeze a little of it in his ear if you can keep him still enough.

00lyndssiggie.gif Lyndseys Group picture by KWLmomof4119475587849991-1.gif SMALL picture by KWLmomof4

If you were born under the sign of Cancer join my group:http://www.cafemom.com/group/34141

austinsm0mmy
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:36 PM
My son suffer with chronic ear infections.  You need to be careful with ear drops because they can react with the drug your doctor has perscribed so i would check with him before you give anything other than tylenol.  one thing our ENT taugh me was to apply heat and presure over the ear provide temporary relief.  I used to put a wash cloth in the dryer to get it warm and then sit my son on my lap on the rocking chair and hold his against me and the cloth on the other ear. it usually gave him enough relief that he could get to sleep.  another tip is to avoid lying him flat.  when he is lying flat the fluid pools behind the ear drum which is why ear infections are usually worst at night.  if you can keep him propped up in a chair, swing or safely on pillows it will allow some of the fluid to drain naturally a relieves the pressure on the ear drum thus relieving some of the pain.  other than that you just have to hang in there the antibiotics usually kick in after a couple days.
yisinit
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM
the cause for ear infections is cig smoke (2nd hand, of course), head not tilted when drinking a bottle, or some other child has the ear infection (like at a daycare, sharing the same pillow or bedding)...yes this is contagious...but the response earlier about garlic oil works...you can get this at any store that sells garlic oil capsules, take a sterile pin and poke a hole in the capsule and drop 3-4 drops of garlic oil in his ear then put a cotton ball (just a little piece) in the ear and unless he is asleep, make sure you keep his head that ear side up for about 15 minutes, then just keep the cotton ball in his ear until he wakes or at least 6 hours so that the ear does not drain out...now,i must warn you he will smell like garlic for days,  however this really works. my son would get ear infections while on amoxicillin, this is the only remedy that worked for him...good luck...with teething, tylenol became my best friend...
DrJ
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 10:49 AM
I know this may sound crazy, but have you considered chiropractic.  The success rate with ear infections is amazing.  I've seen it help a bunch of kids...and even help them avoid surgeries when parents thought that tubes were the next step.  You can find a bunch of information here:
http://www.icpa4kids.org/research/chiropractic/ear.htm

If you send me a private email telling me where you are, I can find you a pediatric or family chiropractor.

Have a great day!
CASIE_G
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 11:00 AM
I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEMS WITH MY SON. HE ENDED UP HAVE TO GET TUBES IN HIS EARS, BUT ONE THING THAT ALWAYS HELPED WITH THE PAIN WAS I WOULD KEEP ORAJEL ON HIS TOOTH ACHES AND IN ORDER FOR EITHER OF US TO SLEEP I HAD TO SLEEP SITTING UP IN A CHAIR WITH HIM ON MY SHOULDER. IT DOESNT HURT AS BAD WHEN THEY ARE IN AN UPRIGHT POSITION. HOPE THIS HELPS
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured