Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are Toys necessary?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM
  • 14 Replies
So here is the thing. I have a 4 month old, and my husband doesn't think he needs any toys. I am trying to decide how I feel about it. I play good music, and talk to him and play with him a lot. We were also thinking that seeing the world around him would be enough to explore and entertain him. Also, when I put him in a bouncer with toys, or a tummy time thing with toys hanging he starts to cry. So, should we still try and get him to play with toys, or is it ok if he doesn't have any?

Stephanie
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shelley061207
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM
Personally I believe that a growing infant needs toys to help with their development skills... Not toys that are for fun, but learning toys like the baby einsteins, and leap frog, Things that help with colors, body parts, numbers and stuff like that. They really do help a lot
Triciahastwins
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:28 PM
Children need to be stimulated, he needs to learn to hold things and explore our world. Good luck.
Don't believe in Miricles, depend on them!
cutiepie1987
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:29 PM
TOYS ARE A GOOD THING.ONE MY BOY ALWAYS LIKED AT THAT AGE WAS THOSE LITTLE THNGS YOU LAY THEM DOWN UNDER AND IT HAS TOYS ADN STUFF ABOVE THEM.THEY'RE GOOD AND ALSO TEETHING TOYS,THEY HAVE A LITTLE DUCK THAT MOVES ACROSS THE FLOOR THAT PROMOTES CRAWLING,THEY HAVE THE KICK AND PLAY KEYBOARD MY LIL MAN LOVED THAT HE'D KICK IT WHEN HE FIRST WOKE UP TO LET USKNOW HE WAS UP LOL.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
M_Ramirez57
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM
at 4 months junior used to play with this ball from the aquatic play thing from fisher price. we would dangle the ball and he would hit it. he needs toys. all babies need toys to help them learn and develop motor skills. dont deprive him of that. but all the rattles and squeekie toys are scarey to him. he needs simple toys for now..hope that helps.

mills502
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM
my ds loves, and still plays with, his toys that i would lie him under and had things that dangle down to him.  i actually love it just as much now, cuz the one i have you can set the main part of it down to the floor for tummy time.  instead of tummy time, my ds is working on sitting up, so i let him sit up and play with it, and if he starts to fall, he catches himself.  it's really good for his sitting up skills (he's 5 1/2 months)

and if nothing else, as long as they like to lie under it and play, it gives you some time to do stuff!

proud mama

Charizma77
by Member on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM
my kids loved toys that they could also chew on... especially those soft ones that had teethers on them.  Of course my kids were teething at that age so that helped them a lot.
ksinclair
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM
I do think that babies need "toys".  Rattles, small stuffed animals, simple brightly colored toys that they can feel, bite & focus on.  It helps build their motor skills.  I have noticed that if we give Jacob too many toys at once, he gets overwhelmed, so I think just buy a few toys & trade them out so your baby does has a little variety, but not a bunch to play with at once.
malyn3211
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 4:19 PM
I think toys are very helpful, my son loved to hold everything, touch everything and put everything in his mouth.  I got him things that were all different shapes and colors, some of them he just stared at but most of them he loved to hold and squeeze.  Get ones from Baby Einstein and brands that are educational, they stimulate them with colors, shapes and textures.  He especially likes them when he was having tummy time and I would put some just out of his reach and he would try to reach for them and it also was good when he was starting to crawl, he could chase things across the room, I think it helped him to crawl faster because he was so determined to get the toy that he would keep trying to move any way he could.  I also got all kinds of teethers with different textures, he loved them.
jms124
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM
There may be too much stuff on his bouncer.  It could be overstimulating him.  Try taking all but one or two things off and see if that helps.  I think kids need toys to learn and develop.

Mommy To A Preemie Blinkie

C-Section Mama Blinkie

WifeandMommy06
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM
He might be overwhelmed with the toys on his bouncer if he doesn't have toys he plays with with you..  If he is not use to toys them he might be scared of them.. I feel children need  toys to learn and use their imaginations

Good Luck

http://www.cafemom.com/group/Denverplaygroup

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN