Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
So here is the thing. I have a 4 month old, and my husband doesn't think he needs any toys. I am trying to decide how I feel about it. I play good music, and talk to him and play with him a lot. We were also thinking that seeing the world around him would be enough to explore and entertain him. Also, when I put him in a bouncer with toys, or a tummy time thing with toys hanging he starts to cry. So, should we still try and get him to play with toys, or is it ok if he doesn't have any?

Stephanie
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Replies (11-14):
molys
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Yes and No.

Your baby is so little.  Love him and listen to your heart. You'll know what to do.
Why does your husband think this?  Is he being protective (china makes lead toys kinda thing)... or cheap.. or he doesn't like the mess...  did he not have toys? Safe toys can be few and inexpensive, does he know this?

Baby's need to be stimulated by their environment for normal developement.  However, you don't need toys to be the stimulus.
Toys are safer and easier and come with directions and stages with ages.  My boys can make toys out of the Luves box I buy diapers in and play for hours and have more fun than the Leap frog learning pad I bought.

My husband buys way too many toys for both of my boys.
knitnmom
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM
Absolutely! He needs to develop not only gross motor skills (learning to coordinate his hands to grab different sizes, shapes, etc, but also for his sensory/tactile development (soft, cold, bumpy textures etc.) Also children need to "learn" how to play and not providing toys can limit his creative juices. (Think of little Mermaid when she picks up the fork and starts combing her hair with it... if he doesn't  know what it is, he won't know what to do with it.)
Toys don't have to be expensive though, my 5 mo old dd LOVES to play with cups and plastic ware right now.

good luck!
landerbh
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM
You definately need to get him toys. He needs to learn how pick things up and grasp things. Toys are a very good thing for babies.
Jenia312
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM
YES educational safe toys are great for babies. Babies do respond to sounds, colors, etc. You also have to be extra careful in selecting the proper toys. Some toys are dangerous for kids, especially the ones containing small pieces where a baby can choke on.

It's NOT a must BUT babies do enjoy them. Just don't go overboard stocking up on toys, LOL. I have 4 kids and I only got toys for my now 7 year-old. I didn't see the difference in their intelligence though. My 14, 15, and 7 year-old are all in the honor roll throughout all the grades they've been through. My 3 year-old son doesn't want or care about toys. My husband bought him toys and he never cares to even open the boxes. I ended up giving them away, to kids who like playing with toys. Some kids are slower than others NOT because they didn't have toys to play with BUT the lack of communication and attentiveness from parents. It's extremely imperative to participate in order to form strong bonds, trust between parents and infants. They may be infants but they're VERY receptive to things, especially their surroundings/environments.

What I did with all of my kids as infants were singing to them, reading books, playing soothing music, lots of talking, and buying colorful blankets, sheets, clothings for them because babies love staring at colors. My kids were afraid of toys when they were infants. I've studied Child Psychology for many years also and studies have shown that infants enjoy looking at colorful items (it makes them happy and curious), love soft soothing music (any sounds), and they enjoy hearing their parent's voices.

I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't buy toys for your little one but they're NOT neccessities though. Toys aren't a bad idea either. It's nice to get musical toys and some other educational colorful toys. If the baby is afraid, then you shouldn't push him/her to get used to toys.  Once the baby gets to another stage of life, maybe he/she will feel ok to play with toys.  Otherwise, don't push the situation.  Your baby will grow up fine without toys as long as you are there giving love, attention, and communication.  Participation in a child's life throughout each stage of development makes a world of difference and you'll have a perfectly normal happy intelligent child.

Good luck.

Jen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)