Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Infant hair falling out?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
Did any of your kids lose their hair when they were infants? My 5 month old son was born with a full head of hair, and now it's just falling out... if you run a comb through his hair it's gross. I have to rinse the tub after a bath because there is so much hair- is this normal? This never happened with my first son...

any advice?

preview image

preview image

by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Atarismommy
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Peter is starting to lose some now.. but with both kids I could hardly notice.. it wasnt a lot.. it was a little bit over a while.. then they would end up with a bald spot.. if its really bad you should probably call the pediatrician.

leahsmomrocks
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 9:49 PM
This happened with my daughter...  She looked funny because her hair was left in patches!  Yeah, its totally normal!  The real hair will grow in its place. 
Jenia312
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM
Funny thing is all 4 of my kids lost their hair when they were infants.  A patch of hair left here and there.  My oldest one got almost bald. 

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  Most infants do lose some hair leaving patches here and there.  It's very normal and it's NOT a condition either.  Some infants have full head of hair and never lose any. 

Jen
ksinclair
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:48 AM
My nephew lost a lot of his hair from rubbing it back & forth in his crib, then he lost the rest of it (just fell out) and it came back a lighter color.  My son is 9 months old & has never lost any of his hair.  I think I"m gong to have to get it cut soon!!!  LOL
lovingmommy-3
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM
OMG!  this was so frustrating to me!  My first son was completly bald, second son had a full head of hair that never fell out.  Then my daughter was born.  I had taken her to see some of my old co-workers when she was almost 2 months old.  when i pulled her out of the car, there was black hair all over her head rest..  she ended up losing all of the back and sides.  we said she looked like baby Hitler.  she had a bush of cold black hair on top and nothing anywhere else.  why my poor baby girl?  oh well, it grew back fast, and now she has a full head of curly locks.
ANDR3WSMAMA143
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Quoting CelestialMom:

Did any of your kids lose their hair when they were infants? My 5 month old son was born with a full head of hair, and now it's just falling out... if you run a comb through his hair it's gross. I have to rinse the tub after a bath because there is so much hair- is this normal? This never happened with my first son...

any advice?

my son is 4 months and he too had a head full of hair when he was born and its falling out now. i think it started to fall out around 2 1/2 -3 months.
except i havetn seen any of the hair actually fall out, i just notice he looks bald all over his head!
pookieboo1982
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM
It's normal for babies to lose hair. My son was 3 months old and he lost a lot of his hair. He grew it back when he was 6 months old. I asked his pediatrician if that was normal and she told me that some children lose their hair and grow it back within a couple of months and sometimes it takes longer to grow back. I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse!
ryanskeeper_21
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM
My son, now almost 18months old, lost all of his hair three months after he was born. Every time i tried to get rid of the cradle cap his hair fell out! I also had to clean up well after baths and what not. I really felt bad for him cuz he looked like the brother from the adams family, although still cute in his own way! The hair grew back shortly after all of the cradle cap was gone so don't fret!
~Jess~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)