Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How old is your babysitter?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM
  • 6 Replies
My husband and I have never used a babysitter but recently have thought about having one. My kids are 19months and 3yrs. The person we know is 13 is that to young? She has 2 little brothers my kids age so I think she is used to it. What do you think?
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
nicole548
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Hmmm 13 sounds a little too young to me, to watch 2 kids. But all 13 year olds are different, if she is mature then I say try it out.
MStarRising
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM
I was 12 and watching kids that age.  I don't see a problem.  See if she'll get certified in first aid and CPR first.

Photobucket

sweetmom52
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:12 PM
well my dear friend my granddaugther
  is now 14 but when she was 13 she did some babysitting for her bothers and she did a good  job .so my advice is try it for one hour and see how it works out .my best wishes to you 

Twiceblessedmom
by Member on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:25 PM
Well, I know I'm not going to be in agreement with the masses here, but here's mine and my hubs rule....we don't leave our kids with anyone that we don't just about 100% trust and have faith that they have the life experiences under their belt to make sound judgement calls in case of an emergency, preferably have kids of their own.  We would never leave our kids with a tween/teen babysitter...but if we had too, it would be one that is older, like 17, and I would really have to know her and her family.  Over-protective in this way, I suppose, we have some family that criticize us as they do things differently...but there are so few things that we definitely have some control over as far as safety in our kids lives, this is one we do and we take it really seriously....but for us it works and thankfully we have a few family members and two friends, that for the few times we ask them to sit it works. 
jakesmomh
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 11:36 PM
We got really lucky and a 16yr old moved in next door a couple years ago with her mom and younger sister.  I think we still had trouble leaving him but knowing that she babysits with her church and other people, plus her mom is right next door has helped us. 

I was about 12 when I started babysitting myself though.  I did do the 4-H babysitting class that taught first aid and everything, I wouldn't leave my children with someone who doesn't know any first aid.  I'd say, check her out, talk to her parents, if she has references-call them.  Then I'd have her over while I was here, doing something else so she could watch the kids and you can observe.  Good luck!
threesharelove
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM
I would say it depends on how mature she is. All 13 year olds are different in their own way. It would be best for everyone's peace of mind if she could get cpr/first aid certified. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN