Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

My sister-in-law found out that she was pregnant right before Christmas.  Her father is the neonatal doctor at our local hospital so she was getting extra special prenatal care. He performed an ultrasound internally and found that something was wrong with the umbillical cord. He gave her a regular ultrasound a few days later and discovered that her baby's intestines were growing outside of the body(not sure of the baby's sex yet) and there was a hole in the baby's stomach. They are not sure if the baby will survive, but if it does, it will need extensive surgery when it is born. By the way, she is due August 2.

They have asked her to decide whether she wants to abort the baby or keep it. She is seriously thinking about aborting. It truly bothers me that she is not going to give this baby a chance at life. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Katy
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rockmemamastyle
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM
You are so NOT WRONG for feeling that way.  Babies are innocent and God has a plan for all babies even that baby (if Lord Willing it survives).  It is not up to us to take a life it is up to the One who gave it to us all.
momof31986
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM
I dont think there is ANY Reason for abortion. NONE at all.  SO I feel the same way you do
swankie12
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:30 AM
Your not wrong for having your own opinions. just remember whatever decision she makes she's going to need the support of her friends and family. Going through an abortion is not easy, it's a very emotional thing and if thats the road she chooses to take just respect her for that having ppl put her down ( not saying thats what your doing) abut having one can make it ever more intense. just make sure if she decides to go through with it that she owns her decision. hope this helps!
tippyx67x
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:33 AM
NO i dont thing you are wrong. Actually I believe you are very right. I am against abortion for every and any reason. I think its wrong no matter what.. Try and talk with her in the most tactic, but caring way you can, and see how that goes.. I will pray for her and for you to know what to say.

Alyssa

Mother of Matthew
Wife to Matt

Here's my angel

Group Owner of "Mommies Who Need a Laugh"http://www.cafemom.com/group/26244/

ashleylynn86
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Quoting swankie12:

Your not wrong for having your own opinions. just remember whatever decision she makes she's going to need the support of her friends and family. Going through an abortion is not easy, it's a very emotional thing and if thats the road she chooses to take just respect her for that having ppl put her down ( not saying thats what your doing) abut having one can make it ever more intense. just make sure if she decides to go through with it that she owns her decision. hope this helps!
Yep i think the same way she does
coffeeyum
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM
  This is not a decision for cafe' mom alert to decide for this person.  We all need to pray for the life of the mom , and  the baby,  this could affect the Mother's life,  emotions, nerves,  psychological state, and her overall conditiiion of  health.   she is probably going to be high risk, if not already. 

Let's all take a minute or 2  out of our   long,   sometimes boring day, and at least say a prayer to God,   to keep her in His caring hands.

This way we  won't be judging her.

It may seem so easy for us, but what if it WAS us? ? ?    Would you take it so lightly? ? ?
I know God has a plan,  and He will make the most out of this babys' duration of pregnancy.     She may even have a natural way of the baby  being healed? ? ? ?   We  just don't know.

I just hope and pray,  when I have a minute to truly give thanks to the Father Son and Holy Spirit for helping us to see that life truly truly is NOT perfect.

mommytobe921
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 1:56 AM
I agree with this mommy 100%.  The baby is sick and it might survive so why abort?  That is her child.  The life SHE created.  Abortion should be illegal.  Babies in the womb should always have a chance!
Quoting momof31986:

I dont think there is ANY Reason for abortion. NONE at all. SO I feel the same way you do

autumnjoy3
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 3:09 AM
I DON'T THINK YOUR FEELINGS ARE WRONG AT ALL. I THINK SHE SHOULD GIVE IT A CHANCE AND DEPEND ON GOD TO WORK A MIRACLE IN HER SITUATION. I WAS TOLD I HAD A FAULTY PREGNANCY AND THAT THERE WAS NO FLUID IN THE SACK, MIND YOU THE CRAZY DOCTOR WANTED TO DO A D&C ON ME RIGHT THERE AND THEN AND EVEN CLAIMED THAT BY THE WEEKEND I WOULD EXPERIENCE HEAVY BLEEDING AND THAT I ALREADY MUST HAVE MISCARRIED A MONTH BEFORE. I TOLD THAT DR. I WAS NOT HAVING ANY D&C AND THAT GOD WOULD SEE MY BABY AND ME THROUGH. WELL HE SAID THAT HE NEVER SAW A SITUATION LIKE THIS TURN IT'S SELF AROUND AND THAT I SHOULD COME BACK THE NEXT TUESDAY TO SEE IF MY PROLACTIN LEVELS HAD CHANGED. WELL I PRAYED AND REC'D A SECOND OPINION AND MY DAUGHTER IS NOW 3 1/2 YEAR OLD. HAD I LISTENED TO THAT FOOL, AUTUMN WOULD NOT BE HERE TODAY AND I WOULD OF HAD AN INVOLUNTARY ABORTION BY WAY OF A D&C. IF I WERE HER I WOULD NOT BE HASTY IN MAKING A DECISION, PRAY FOR HER TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION AND EVEN READ HIS POST TO HER, BECAUSE GOD IS A MIRACLE MAKER AND ANYTHING BUT FAILURE IS POSSIBLE WITH HIM. THANK GOD I TRUSTED MY GUT INSTINCTS AND GOD TO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO DESTROY THE LIFE OF MY BABY THAT THEY(DOCTORS) CLAIMED DID NOT EVEN EXIST. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIMES. OH, P.S. I NEVER EVEN EXPERIENCED ANY BLEEDING WHAT SO EVER, SO THAT DR. WAS TOTALLY OFF HIS ROCKER. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT YOUR SIL'S FATHER IS WRONG BUT TIME AND A CHANCE FOR THE BABY NEEDS TO BE TAKEN AND THEY NEED TO ALLOW GOD TO WORK ON THAT INNOCENT CHILD'S BEHALF. BEST WISHES AND I'M PRAYING FOR HER AND YOUR FAMILY.
Lilypie3rd Birthday Ticker
CandieB
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 4:28 AM

No you're not wrong at all. I don't see how any Dr. could come to that conclusion  at such an early stage of pregnancy. Do you think there could be more to the story? It isn't common, but not rare either that the intestines are growing outside of the stomach and there would be a hole in the stomach...or the intestines wouldn't be out there. If everything is intact In my opinion it is unethical for a Dr. to perform a D&C this early on. The baby's heart is beating, it's growing, etc. I feel bad for feeling skeptical about your sis-n-law's story, but I am.

Candice
Mom Of Two Cute Kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)