Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM
  • 2 Replies
I  really don't feel like joining another group just to post this so I hope you all have the answer for me.  I am nursing my 13 month old and I'm newly pregnant.  I never thought I would be nursing this long but I am so that's that.  I have tried to look it up in all of my pregnancy books but all it says is that 2500 calories is what a pregnant mom should eat.  What about a nursing, pregnant mom?

Thanks!

by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
aedria
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 4:43 PM
Congratulations on nursing your little one into toddlerhood!  You will only need to raise your caloric intake only by about 500 calories.  You should eat to hunger, get plenty of good water to drink.  You may find your milk supply naturally dwindles around four months pregnant, starts to become more colostrum-like, but it is perfectly fine to nurse your older child through a pregnancy.  You will not be starving your unborn baby. 
I am tandem nursing my two toddlers, ages 18 months and 31 months.  It was a little rough the last five months of my pregnancy, but we didn't give up- I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.  They are very close sisters, and there's always that sweet moment when they're both nursing and holding hands, so beautiful!

"For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.'' Liber Al. vel. Legis

JacksMom619
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 4:43 PM
I found this on-line...  congrats!!

Nursing and pregnant (added calories)

Most mothers find that if they simply eat to satisfy their increased hunger they can easily consume enough calories to support the pregnancy and continued lactation. Let your hunger and thirst dictate how much you take in. If you feel hungry, then you need to eat, regardless of how large the amounts may seem. Some mothers notice a decrease in appetite when milk supply decreases later into the pregnancy.

You will want to gain weight just as you would if you were not nursing: 25-35 pounds is the current recommendation. See also What if I lose weight in the first trimester?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured