Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

MY DAUGHTER HAS THE FLU ....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
MY DAUGHTER HAS THE FLU AND SHE HAS BEEN HAVING A FEVER FOR A WEEK NOW IT KEEPS GOING UP AND DOWN BUT HAS REACHED UP TO 104 I TAKE HER TO THE ER EVERYTIME IT GETS HIGHER THAN 101 BUT THEY KEEP SENDING ME HOME AND SAY GIVE HER PLENTY OF FLUID AND REST AND TYNEOL OR MORTRIN WHEN THE FEVER CLIMBS.... WELL ITS BEEN 1 WEEK AND 1 DAY SINCE SHE GOT SICK AND I DONT WANT TO KEEP GIVING HER MOTRIN

IS THIS NORMAL FOR HER TO BE SICK THIS LONG SHOULD I TAKE HER BACK TO ER

IF THIS IS NORMAL WHAT ARE SOME HOME REMEDIES I CAN TRY TO MAKE HER FEEL A LITTLE MORE COMFORTABLE

SHES 10 MONTHS OLD BY THE WAY
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn100173
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:23 PM
Can you take her to another ER or to her pediatrician in the morning?  If the fever is still spiking that high after a week she may need antibiotics, it may not be the flu.  I am not a doctor but I would consider a different ER or the pediatrician in the morning. Sorry, I saw that she's 10 months old.  I would definitely have her checked out again.  Maybe they can do some blood work or cultures to see what is going on.  Good luck
marshallmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM
I personally don't like to give Tylenol for a fever.  But will if it gets too high.  Tylenol only makes the temp go down, it does not take the sickness away.  The only reason you get a temp is because your body is fighting something.  I will give my daughter garlic enemas to flush out bad toxins in the body.  When I read about doing this, I thought people who did this was crazy.  But my dd had been sick for awhile, so I thought I would go ahead and try it. 
I prefer to do natural when it comes to my child, but I am not again Tylenol. 
GonnaBananas
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM
I've been there with my little man Wes.  The doctors just said to switch between Motrin and Tylenol.  Wes was sick for 2 weeks when he finally kicked the bug. But that's about all I can give ya.  Hope she feels better soon.   
scaredtofail
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM
I am curious why 101 concerns you?  Did a Dr tell you that it was dangerous for a baby to be over 101?  I thought for babies the temp could be like 104 before it was dangerous.  I could be wrong. My dd (now 9) has a fever and throwing up so I did not give her anything for the fever because I know she would just throw it up and like the other poster said, fever is just a sign the body is fighting something.  I would take her to the ped and see what they say.  If they say it is normal and what is going around this season, then I would not worry.  I would try and keep the er visits down imo.   Hang in there... 
charlena2107
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:49 PM
I KNOW 101 IS NOT THAT BAD IM JUST A NEW MOM SO ANY THING OVER 100 SCARES ME THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT EVEN 104 IS NOT THAT BAD WHEN THEY HAVE A FEVER BUT I HAVE KAISER SO IF ANY BODY KNOWS THERE LIKE A BUSSINESS RATHER THAN DOCTORS BUT I THIK IM JUST GOING TO TAKE HER TO HER DOCTOR INSTEAD OF RUNNING TO THE ER

Quoting scaredtofail:

I am curious why 101 concerns you?  Did a Dr tell you that it was dangerous for a baby to be over 101?  I thought for babies the temp could be like 104 before it was dangerous.  I could be wrong. My dd (now 9) has a fever and throwing up so I did not give her anything for the fever because I know she would just throw it up and like the other poster said, fever is just a sign the body is fighting something.  I would take her to the ped and see what they say.  If they say it is normal and what is going around this season, then I would not worry.  I would try and keep the er visits down imo.   Hang in there... 
scaredtofail
by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM
I know what you mean. It is scary when they are hot  - and moms just want to make it better ;)  Good luck at the dr.
jeannesanda
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM
I highly recomend the book "How To Raise a Healthy Child...In Spite of Your Doctor" by Robert S. Mendelsohn, MD

It covers a wide range of topics, such as:How doctors can make healthy kids sick, proper nutrition, what to expect of your child, fevers, headaches, upset stomach, coughs sneezes & runny noses, strep throat, earaches, and a whole bunch of others.

This book is absolutely amazing and has helped me a great deal, especially with trusting my instincts as a mom.  Good luck.

Jeanne
Tabathax3
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM
I have 3 kids and all 3 of them just got over the flu (and my husband too)!  The dr put them on Tamiflu.  They took it twice a day for 5 days and they were fine by day 3.  They all ran fever, at different degrees.  My 5 yr old got up to 104, my 3 yr old was about 102, my 16 month old was 101 and my husbands reached 104.7!  Chicken soup, Gatorade, rest, and wash your hands ALOT is about all you can do!  Use tissues and throw them away immediately!  I guess you can't do the chicken soup and Gatorade if your baby is only 10 months, but I would definitely ask the pediatrician about Tamiflu!  My husband said it was GREAT!
CelestialMom
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM
Awww, my little ones were just recently sick too and it is sooooo hard as a mom to see them that way, isn't it! And I know it is so much scarier when they are young like your daughter is! My advice- see the doctor, and tell him honestly your concerns. You are her mom, and you know her best. Then, make sure she is getting LOTS of fluids (I bet she would LOVE gatorade, or pedialite [but which is more $$ and I think basically the same thing) and lots and lots of hugs. Good luck. I know how hard it can be!!

preview image

preview image

charlena2107
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 11:37 AM
thanks for all the advice guys turns out  my daughter had an ear infection  and the er wasnt even checkin her ears so thats why she was staying sick but i took her to her reg. doc  yesterday and shes already doing better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)