Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Mold?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM
  • 6 Replies
Last night I found mold forming on a wall behind a twin bed we have in our babys room. I have been washing down all her toys today, yes I am very paranoid. We live in Oregon, so it's wet and rainy, I think this is pretty common. Plus the wall that the bed is on is facing the river in our backyard. My husband is going to bleach the area and repaint it when he gets home. She doesn't sleep in there yet, but recently the baby and I have slept on the bed for a short period of time. Do you think the bleaching will help or prevent this problem. I haven't had her in there all day, and won't after he bleaches the wall for awhile. I'm so freaked out!
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
brookmomto3
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM
How ironic! I have pretty much the same issue going on in our daughters room. Here's our conclusion on how the mold came to be...when the house was built, the builder didn't attach the plastic protective covering properly that keeps cold air and moisture from coming into the walls. Therefore, the cold air came in and with the cold air being against the warm air on the inside it created condensation and with it being wet for such a long period of time it made the black mold. Now, the only thing that kills the mold is bleach, so one, we took pictures to show our builder (since our house is only 2 years old) and washed the mold off with bleach water; two, the wall area where the mold was found is going to have to be replaced and the outside plastic wall stuff that is underneath the siding fixed. What fun, right!? Now, were just hoping the builder will take care of it since there was no physical way we could have seen that this was going to be an potential problem. Well, I hope this helps you to at least know what to look for. I just hope you don' t have to do what we are. 'Cause if the builder refuses then we are all on our own.
ILOVEMYBOYS4
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM
HI WE HAD A MOLD PROB IN OUR HOUSE!IT WAS UNDER THE CARPET AND IT MADE MY SON VERY SICK! WE HAD TO MOVE OUT AFTER HE WAS PUT IN THE HOSPITAL! I WOULD SAY HAVE IT CHECKED OUT AND MAKE SURE IT IS OK! MY SISTER LIVED IN A HOUSE THAT IT WAS ON THE WALLS AND SHE WOULD CLEAN THEM AND IT WOULD COME BACK!
lucifer29a
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 7:04 PM
bleach will kill the mold i had a leack in my hallway that stoped in my daughters room and the apt. i live in for a while never fixed it so it got mold and i used bleach but you might want to check inside the all to see if theres any in it or not
JTycethemom
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM
bleach will kill the mold but you still have to find the reason for the excess moisture....and stop it. window seals are almost always the problem. In your case the bed might do better on an inner wall and keep an inch of breathing room.

Jessica
daughter of a contractor
married to a glazier
nicoryannie
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM
I work for a company that does mold remediation. The bleach will get rid of what you can see, but the mold has probably grown on the other side of the drywall, too, as well as on the studs. So bleaching one side probably won't solve it. And depending on how bad the mold is, there are a few different ways it may need to be remediated. If it is very mild, a bleach solution will work, but again, you've got to see the joists behind the wall. For moderate mold, scrubbing and sealing with an antimicrobial sealant like "shockwave" might be necessary. Or, if the mold has been growing a while and has done some real damage, you may need to replace the drywall and studs all together. Also, if you think you might be allergic, please call a specialist who will come in and set up the proper containment with negative air so that the spores aren't released into the air. And you definately need to find out what caused it, or it will happen again. Mold spores are everywhere. It is just the right conditions that cause it to grow. Temperature, humidity and a food source, like wood. If you find out what is causing it, you can take away any 1 of the 3 items mentioned above and it won't grow back. you need low temperature, humidity below 40% ish or no food source. HTH. feel free to contact me with any questions!
parathom0331
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM
We had mold growing in my son's room, Mind you he is 4  this mold put my son in the hospital for days and made him very ill. i don't think you should alow those baby's to sleep in there untill it is fixed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)