Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP! wut should I do?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM
  • 16 Replies
(I posted this on one of my other group sites, and haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback, so if anyone has time, plz help.

Hey everyone!

I have a really personal question to ask everyone, but I am embarrassed to ask my family. Well, this week has been very stressful, my father in law is coming to see his grand daughter for the first time, I have a million things to do before he gets here, Josi is sick for the second time in her life, and we just found out that my husband can't have any time off. On top of that he has to work 12 hour days for 2 weeks in a row, and that includes weekends, which really sucks because I was supposed to start working part time this weekend, and now I can't because I have to be home with Josi.

I am also being weened off of antidepressants from my post-partum depression. I feel really emotional right now, but I can't tell if it is from going off my antidepressants or if it is just from an overload of stress. I don't know what to do, if I should ask my doctor for one more months worth of antidpressants or if I should just deal. I feel like I am capable of just dealing with it, but I don't want to all of the sudden go off the wall. I don't know, I have never delt with depression before having my daughter, so I am not sure what I should do.

If anyone has an idea of options for me, please let me know,
thanx!!
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulieBee
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM
I would explain your situation to your doctor and let him or her advise you on what's in your best interest.
4kidsandadog
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Quoting JulieBee:

I would explain your situation to your doctor and let him or her advise you on what's in your best interest.

I totally agree......your Dr. should know what is best for you!
JacksMom619
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Quoting 4kidsandadog:

Quoting JulieBee:

I totally agree......your Dr. should know what is best for you!
I agree- but if he/she asks what you want/need/feel- ASK for another month!  You need to be OK for your baby (& yourself)  Sounds like you could use a hug- Take care & write if you need to vent!
MomAgainAt42
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM
I use Cymbalta and love how it helps.  My baby is 8 months old now but life is still very stressful so I keep with it. Talk to your doctor honey! There is not reason you should wean off yet if there are too many situations causing stress in your life. You and your sanity are worth what it takes to make you feel better. Hugs!

...My oldest is a Soldier serving in Iraq

tkleferr
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM
take care of your self and do not be afraid or embarrassed to talk to some one depression is real and can be serious. if you feel your not ready to stop your meds talk to your dr. believe me he will understand. i'll pray for you and your beautiful family, Your doing a great job, at least you know you need help and woman enough to get it . best wishes....lots of love, rose
lovejosi
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM
I have one more question, did anyone elses doctor who put them on antidepressants tell then that it could only be a 6 month thing? The reason I am a little worried about talking to him about it is because he seemed negative about me taking them in the first place, and is always rude to me about it like I should deal with it on my own or just go to counseling. The prob with that is that I don't have any time that I can have my daughter watched to go to a counselor, and if I do it is so sporadic that I could never fit a schedule around it. I am just scared cuz when I first got on them the doctor made me talk to him about every reason that I could possibly need to be upset, and said that my worries were the same as everyone elses (except that I was bawling the whole time and I HATE bawling in front of people). He acted like I should be able to get over it on my own, I don't know I  am so confused. Should I request a dif. doctor ro something?

I really appreciate all of your help, thank you guys so much!!

ashleylynn86
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM
I would ask for another month because you can't try to go off of them you have so much stress going on.. it is really really hard make it easier on yourself and do it later.. right now just don't seem like a good time to be getting off of these...
stummegirl
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM
This probably is the last thing you want to hear but it helped me...changing your diet really helps...well it helped for me. eat all hte meals your supposed to and eat all healthy foods...that might help with the depresion and anxiety...i also walk at LEAST 30 minutes a day briskly.
JacksMom619
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Quoting lovejosi:

I have one more question, did anyone elses doctor who put them on antidepressants tell then that it could only be a 6 month thing? The reason I am a little worried about talking to him about it is because he seemed negative about me taking them in the first place, and is always rude to me about it like I should deal with it on my own or just go to counseling. The prob with that is that I don't have any time that I can have my daughter watched to go to a counselor, and if I do it is so sporadic that I could never fit a schedule around it. I am just scared cuz when I first got on them the doctor made me talk to him about every reason that I could possibly need to be upset, and said that my worries were the same as everyone elses (except that I was bawling the whole time and I HATE bawling in front of people). He acted like I should be able to get over it on my own, I don't know I  am so confused. Should I request a dif. doctor ro something?

I really appreciate all of your help, thank you guys so much!!

Wow- I'd get a new Dr.  i worked as a family therapist for years... There is NOTHING wrong with taking medication for depression (& just because other people MAY be going thru the same thing)- does not invalidate how YOU are feeling!  Post-partum is real & for some people MUCH worse than others.  Do not feel bad or embarrassed- if at all possible, try to get a new Dr.  He should be there to help you.  It isn't like you are asking for speed or something that will give you a "rush"- you just want to feel normal! Some people feel that for depression you can use will power-  it is the same as asking a diabetic to use will power to keep their sugar down...  it doesn't work - you can try to look on  the bright side of things-and they can eat well, but you still may both need meds!  Sorry you are going thru this!
joshuasmommy831
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Let me just tell you that depression after having a baby is so common and that, yes it does suck, but you'll get through it.  I had it bad when I had my son.  I had just left his father and moved away from everyone I knew, so I was pretty stressed out.
What you have to understand is that you have a baby and she takes time.  You are NOT going to have the time to do everything else the way you would without her.  My suggestion is to avoid going back on meds unless you absolutely have to.  You'd be suprised what you can manage on your own if you have to.  Just do what you can in preparation for your father-n-law but don't feel like everything has to be perfect because it won't be.
Another suggestion is that when people offer to help, even if it's something as simple as keeping an ear out for her so you can take a shower, TAKE IT.  You'd be suprised how much better you will feel if you can take a shower or a nap without having to worry about her.  People offer to help so take them up on it.
Good luck and just remember that you will get through it.  I did.

Nancy Jean 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN