Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

In need of a baby name

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 3:14 AM
  • 18 Replies

I will be having a baby girl in 1 month and I still don't have a name for her. Every name I come up with someone has something negative to say about it so can somebody please help me.

by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 3:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lena13533
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 3:22 AM
if you like a name you should just stick to it. just dont tell other people the name you decided. who cares what they think! it isnt their kid!

i like the names Aleaha, Alayna, Ariana, and carissa

:) those were tha names i was going to choose if i was having a girl
Jaydansmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 3:41 AM

Who gives a damn what people say! Its your daughter not theirs. People always comment on my daughters name. Jaydan JoLea becaue of JoLea, they think I named her after the actress. Um no lol Joesph is her dads middle name mine is Lee, and my cousin who passed away name was Ashlea... So I put it together and we got JoLea. People think her name is Jay-Dan, not jayden. Its said like that but spelled different. People are dumb name her whatever the heck you want !

yo-yo
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 4:09 AM
I can't really give you ideas for baby names but I can tell you that what other people think of your baby's name shouldn't matter. When I meet new people, they always want to know what my daughters name is. Her name is Eris Persephone (Graves, last name). People do the whole "What a pretty name! How did you come up with it?" I have this speech memorized. "We always liked the name Persephone; just had to figure out a first name. Finally decided on Eris. They're both from Greek Mythology; Eris is the Goddess of Chaos and Persephone is the Queen of the Underworld." I get the "OMG!!! Are you insane?" look every time. I doesn't bother me because it was my choice and not theirs; plus I wanted something no one could make fun of and the only thing that really rhymes with Eris is Paris (hopefully Paris Hilton is forgotten by the time Eris is 5 and goes to Kindergarten).

Didn't mean for this to be so long. Just wanted you to know that it's not what other people think, only what you like.
Mommy5110162506
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 4:27 AM
Look all I can tell you is to go with what you like but also think about your child when they use that name in thier life as they grow. I chose Logan Layne for my son and Laura Kate  for my daughter. It was what we liked for our children and we thought they would not have any trouble with spelling their name or can climb any corporate ladder if that is what they decide to do when they are grown without any potholes in the road like CEO's looking at a name to make a decision for their next partner in the company...

Good luck and remember unless other people provide 100% financial support then what they think does not matter. You be happy and your partner be happy with the name you have chosen
ShellBell334
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 6:57 AM
I agree with everyone on this. This is YOUR child! You name her whatever you want . If someone doesn't like it,too bad. I named my daughter Katherine-Ann Elizabeth. And my MIL didn't like the name Elizabeth. Well , it's not her child  ,so I gave her the name I wanted her to have.
squidsmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM
Everyone thought we were joking when we told them our daughter's name is Evalyn. We call her Eva because I feel that Evalyn is an old lady name, but for when she's older and in trouble, Evalyn Ruth just rolls off the tongue. Go with the name you like, don't worry about others. This is a big decision that you have to live with (and your baby)
10sgr8
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM
Decide on a name and don't tell anyone until the baby is born...chances are when they see the baby they will not immedately turn to you and say..."I don't like that name" ! it is your baby ... name it the best name you can come up with!!!  I had several names selected for my children...but needed to see them before I named them.  My son did not have a name for two days...I needed to get to know him first!  My daughter was named seconds after I met her.  Strange but true.
Brookes_Mommy
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 10:16 AM
I also think you should name your daughter whatever you want to..... I love the names... Brooke( my daughters) Paige.Carmen,Jenna,Kalista,Jessica,Natasha, Natalie, Tessa! Good Luck in finding a name!!

hollydejah
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM
I like Mayleen or spell it differ. like Maelean or Maylean.

I named my daughter Dejah (like "Deja Vu", she hates when people call her that). My son's name is Ezekiel. My father hated Dejah and all my mom's friends could not say Ezekiel (because they are Thai and have very bad accents)

Everyone has their own opinions it matters what you like.
susie381
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I went through the same thing. I like a lot of unique/different names and because I made the mistake of telling them to people and listening to their negative comments my husband and I never used them. If you really like a name, I would not tell anyone until the baby is here. A friend of mine actually did that. She received a lot of the same negative comments for her first child and this time she decided that she would let people know the gender if she could find out, but the name is a secret until the baby is born.  She is due at the end of April. So far everyone is respecting her wish.

Some of the names I like and were never able to use were:

Brielle Nichole
Jersey Lynn
Madelyn Rose
Naveah Rhaine (miscarried this one at 5 or 6 weeks.  still refer to child  as this name)
Autumn Rhaine
Sara Jayne
Margaret Lee or Leigh
Destiny Rose
Ariana Rae (pronouced ARI- AHNA)
 I hope these help. I would go with whatever name YOU and your HUSBAND really like and not worry about what anybody else thinks. I wish I had. I love my children and they fit their names really well, but I love baby names. I was kind of hoping to have more of a say in their names.  YOU decide. This baby is your baby. Good luck. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)