Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

advice needed RE: tax refund

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi guys,I could use some advice pls.
Im separated with my husband but I haven't got a chance to divorce him yet.We have a child together that lives with me.Last year my son was with him for 4 months.I know its only money but he is telling me that if I file my taxes this year I have to give him some money whatever my son will be credited for.Do you think he has the right to ask for the tax refund money,when Im the one who work and thats my money Im getting refund for.He thinks because its also his child,he should get some share.

by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FoxyLady42
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM
I would take the refund and divide it down by 12 months...and give him the portion for the 4 months your son lived with him.  He does deserve that.
momonajourney
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM
According to IRS rules, No he does not...

You had him your baby the majority of the year. And hurry to file those taxes. If he files first, you have no recource...

HTH
HeartofGold
by Member on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

He can ask anything he wants but you don't have to give him anything.

The person who the child lived with atleast 6 months out of the year is the one that gets to claim then and recieve the earned income credit. You do not have to give him anything. It is rightfully yours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

knitnmom
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM
If you file as married I think he is entitled to whatever he would receive from his W2's. If he didn't work then he technically can't claim anything.  If he isn't filing taxes then I would claim son, and not give hubby a dime. Thats just me. But you may need to check on the fact that your still married and if you didn't check off to be in the higher single rate (have more withheld) at the beginning of the year, then I'm not sure. Hubby and I always check off the higher single rate just so we won't have to pay at the end of the year.....

Good Luck.
squidsmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM
the generous thing to do would be to split it fairly. Since we don't know if he deserves that, hurry and file your taxes before he has the chance to and only you can decide what's fair and deserved.
HeartofGold
by Member on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM
She should hurry to get them done but if he does file and claim the child first and then she claims the child as well they will audit the both of them. Then they will have to prove who the child lived with the most and the other one will have to pay the government back PLUS fee's.

I went through this with my oldest daughters dad. He never did that again. hahaha...

Quoting momonajourney:

According to IRS rules, No he does not...

You had him your baby the majority of the year. And hurry to file those taxes. If he files first, you have no recource...

HTH

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

momfor2ndtime27
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM
thanks for the advice ladies!I appreciate it.I guess what I'll do is give him the 4 months my son stayed with him.
smarty710
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM
I go through this every year with my ex and in my expirence if you are just seperated and you file under the seperated section or married filing seperate you won't get any deductions except for the dependant. You won't be able to recieve the Child Tax credit or the EIC (earned income credit). Therefore you should talk with hubby file together this year give him the four months the child was there and use your return to get that divorce. good luck, but be sure he pays for half of the divorce if he is not willing to do that then stick it to him and lose the credits chances are that you will still get a significately large refund...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured