Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Potty training advice....

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hello all, I am a mother to a beautiful 23 month old little girl named Payton and new to cafe moms.  I need some advice about potty training.  Over the last month or so Payton has been asking to sit on the potty, so I have been letting her sit on it and she will sit there and not do anything.  I am assuming this is ok because at least she is interested right?  Well this past weekend she was sitting on the potty after her bath and tinkled a very little bit in the potty.  We clapped for her and tried to make a big deal out of it but she FREAKED out!  She started to say "oh no....no no mommy....oh no" and she jumped off the potty held herself , down there, and ran into her room and tried to put on her own diaper.  She obviously didn't make it.  Then she started to cry and I reassured her that it was ok and it was just an accident.  Now she is wearing pull ups but will only sit on the potty when she wants to.  I know i'm not suppose to push the potty training but I feel like she is ready but just scared.  Any advice?  Is this normal?  I should also tell you I am a working mom and her daycare teacher says she will not sit on the potty at all for them but she will at home, is this normal too???

Any advice would be awesome! 

Clueless about potty training,
AMANADA

Thanks for all of the advice!  I am going to try not to push it and let her go on her own.  I am however, going to get her the potty training doll, she is such a girly girl and loves her baby dolls so maybe that will give her a little encouragement!  Thanks again and good luck to all of you that are trying to potty train as well!
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LdyWlf
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:29 PM
My 2 yr old is the same way sort of.  She will sit on it an from time to time potty... but most the time it's after you put her diaper back on that she potties.  Daycare is the same.  She won't even try.  Although we didn't make a huge fuss about her using it the first few times.  Just told her she was a good girl for using it.  I think maybe the clapping and getting excited may have scared her.  Do push it.  She will do this in her own time.  I'm a working mom too... so trying to potty train is harder.  It was simple with my oldest because I was an at home mom with her and could stay on top of it.
gorillamom
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:33 PM
my daughter wasn't trained until around 3 years old. that's because her sister and brother tried to flush her. have you tried to get one of those potty training dolls? you know the ones that you feed and set in the potty chair and let them pee?? she's showing interest so that's good. sometimes even as excited as we get that they go ing the big potty scares them . the doll helped my daughter. you're doing great. don't give up. it takes time and alot of patience. you can also try to let her pick out some big girl panties and tell no pee pee in them .
lilbit85
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:35 PM
my sister used stickers as a help. that was one of the ways that  my niece would go because she wanted the sticker and see if they will do it at daycare too
jenjen81605
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:40 PM

If you haven't already done it- try to get her a potty training toilet. My son's afraid of the "big boy potty" but he loves his "froggy potty" (it has a frog sticker)

If you're already using a training potty, try to just let her sit on it (even if she has a pull up still on) any time she goes into the bathroom with you.
Also- my son's 2 1/2 and he'll only use the potty when he's in there with my dad or his dad. He won't use the big boy potty for mommy- but he likes to sit on it.
I figure- children are like adults, they need to take their own time. It took me extra time to learn to multiply, so why should I worry if it takes my son extra time to go on the potty?  y'know?
Don't worry- if you're daughter's not ready, she's just not ready. If she gets to be 3 or 4 without using it THEN worry... but untill then, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!!

carsonsmomee
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM
For me I think each child is different .I have 3 and each one learned at different times. My 3.5 year old son who I have been tiring to train since he was 2 just got it last month.Jan 15,2008. We stopped forcing "the issue" and "stopped telling him to go" then all on his own one day last month I was in the kitchen and he had went poo and pee in his potty chair. We left close by in the family room and he did it and has ever since. Now at nap time I put a pull up on him but he wakes up when he feels the urge to go and he will go to the toilet and pee and then go back to sleep. I am totally amazed how this "just happened" but very grateful. At night we put a pull up on and he may pee just a little in it otherwise he gets up and goes in the bathroom to the toilet.We leave the light on in there for him.Then goes back to sleep. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is IT!! 

Have patients.She will do it in "her" time.

regards,jennie
suej27
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM
This is what I did w/ my oldest.  She's very "girly", so I got her really pretty cloth undies.  During one summer when she was around 2 1/2, I let her play with her toys in the bathroom sink, and kept her little potty right next to her.  I told her that if she had to do, she should try her potty.  After about 10 minutes playing w/ water, she just peed on herself, and got upset because she got her new undies all wet.  So we cleaned up, put on brand new ones again, and we tried again.  Next time, she made it to the potty just on time.  That's all it took.  Be warned though, my friend tried it on her son, and he could have cared less !! I am planning on at least trying the same method with my little one when the time is right.  Good luck !!

Coolpeasmommy
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM
My daughter is 2 1/2 and she will ask to sit on potty but she won't go either. She will sit for less than a minute then say  "all done"" and want to get up. I have found that if I let her brush her teeth and play with some toys and she sits there for a few minutes she will go, and I will praise her, but she doesn't seem to even care. I used big girl underware and she will come up to me and say "oh no" as she is peeing then she will run away and try to go back to playing with her toys. I tried treats and encouragement when she does go, but she still doesn't care so I totally understand where you are coming from. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Paytonmarie06...keep trying....I think your daughter is doing just fine. mine on the other hand.......... :)

"Keep your dreams close to your heart and your hopes a handful away" ~Crystal

lizmamaof1
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 10:29 AM
i have a lilgirl who jus truned 3. n she has been potty trained for alil while now. i jus kept puttin big girl pantties on her yeah she had afew booboos. but i didnt yell at her or kept pushin her. they say it gets hard for them wen u push them. theyll come around when there ready. my sis has a lilgirl she was like 41/2 wen she was potty trained. she just told my sis she was ready n didnt pee on herself at all after that. so when there ready theyll let u know. i just every few mins kept askn my lilgirl did she have to go. n it help if they go with you to see how you do it.. hope it all works out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)