Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

breastfeeding problems

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 1:49 AM
  • 3 Replies
at my daughter's 4 month check up she was under weight weighting 11 lbs. up to that point I was just breastfeeding, however her doctor suggested adding some formula bottles along with her regular meals to put some weight on her. I had been switching sides after about 20 mins. I have been trying to build back up my milk supply by taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal, and drinking nursing mother's tea. I have also started just feeding her on one side per feeding so that she gets as much hind-milk as possible I'm pretty sure she is putting on some weight its been 3 weeks. Since I started giving her bottles after every breastfeeding she has started to only nurse for like a max of 15 mins and then wont go back onto the breast, but she will take a bottle and drinks about 3 to 4 more oz. Also I have begun to have some nipple pain and tenderness. Do you have any other suggestions? thanks for your help!!!
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
cure4cf
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 5:58 AM

I don't understand why doctors encourage bottle feeding when the child isn't gaining weight. thats just my opinion though. have you tried having her feed for 30 minutes on each side & more frequently. i BF both of my children & this helped me. I fed 30 minutes each side every 2 hours for about 2 weeks then weaned back to the 4 hours. this helped my mild supply so they got more when they actually fed & it didn't take as long. i also pumped so during the night they ate from the bottle. once they started drinking from a bottle i did get some nipple soreness at first because they are having to learn that they have to suck 2 different ways.

is ther a history of small stature in your family?
have you seen a lactation consultatn?
did your doc give you BF tips?

i hope this helped. good luck.

Bobbi

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls Holly 5 years old & Isabel 2 years old

NewMom87
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 6:07 AM
OMG im in the same situation as you. my baby its only 3 months tho well my doctor didn't say anything actually i didn't even go for a check up as shes fine and can't be bothered by the travelling with a baby...neways my baby was crying like hell about a week ago after every breastfeed and i was so frustrated trying different things with her i even thought she was colic but NO the real problem is that she wasn't getting enough breast milk so after a breastfeed she was still hungry so now im giving her a lil of formula as well and shes very happy! I used to make enough milk but  for about over a week she used to sleep for 10 hours and that made my milk supply less so in the day when she needed to eat every 3 hours there wasn't enough milk for her...anyway at night she sleeps about 8 hours at a time so when she needs to feed there is enough breast-milk for her so i only give her formula in the day when she feeds every 3 hours like i said...I don't mind im actually hoping she wants the bottle so i can stop breastfeeding all together lol i feel like shes glued to me when breastfeeding and like im getting no break...sorry im no help at all i just wanted to let you know that im in the same situation as you right now so your not alone. wish you the best

squidsmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 9:40 AM
Do you pump in between feedings? How is your milk supply? I randomly stopped making milk and didn't know for about 2 months. Needless to say, she stopped gaining weight and pooping. I only found out that I stopped making milk because I brought her to the doc's because she hadn't pooped in a week. He, unlike many doc's told me not to jump the gun and put her on formula, that I was going back for her regular checkup in a week and we'd figure it out then. I jumped the gun two days after her no pooping appointment and 5 days later, she had gained 1lb 4oz. I think that's why doc's tell people to substitute with formula. These doc's just want to make sure the babies stay alive!!! When I went to the doc's a week later for her appt, the doc told me it was a good thing I put her on formula because he was looking at her charts and got worried. We were both going to be hospitalized that day if she hadn't gained weight. So, all the mother's out there who think doc's shouldn't recommend formula, my daughter is healthy now because I didn't listen to the doc who told me to just keep breast feeding. Doc generally give advice that they feel necessary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN